• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gear for recording sounds, foley, ambience etc

Share/Bookmark

Gear for recording sounds, foley, ambience etc

hey guys,

So... lets say you wanted to start recording foley, sound effects and ambience. What would you buy? Something that is quite affordable.

I currently have a portable mini disk recorder and a sony ECM-MS907 mic, but I find I have to increase the gain on anything I record quite a lot in post. Do I need a portable pre-amp in order to pickup more subtle sounds? Frankly the only thing I can record on the ECM-MS907 is something close to the mic... I mean REALLY close and loud enough. I have to assume that I am missing something here, because I cannot imagine that the mic is meant to be this poor at recording.

Thanks,

James

Re: Gear for recording sounds, foley, ambience etc

check out the M-audio microtrack. I have one and use it to do what you are looking to do with it. It was pretty cheap too.

-T

Quote Originally Posted by Tmon
    check out the M-audio microtrack. I have one and use it to do what you are looking to do with it. It was pretty cheap too.

-T
    Yeh, that looks nice... you have not experienced the same problems I have with recording (too quiet) no doubt, what mic do you use?

Thanks,

Edit: just looking into pre-amps, so it appears that the microphones poor performance is due to a lack of a pre-amp. Looks like I need to get one.

The MS907 is a self-powered electret condenser mic. I use the same type of MIC with my Sharp minidisc and have never had any issues with levels. And as far as I know, there is no such thing as a pre-amp for a mic of this type (with a 1/8" mini jack).

Make sure your battery (in the Sony mic) is good, and make sure you're plugging it into what's known as a 'plug-in-powered' MIC input on your MD. Then, you'll need to set input gain on the MD as well, which will vary from device to device.

Quote Originally Posted by Symbiotic
    The MS907 is a self-powered electret condenser mic. I use the same type of MIC with my Sharp minidisc and have never had any issues with levels. And as far as I know, there is no such thing as a pre-amp for a mic of this type (with a 1/8" mini jack).

Make sure your battery (in the Sony mic) is good, and make sure you're plugging it into what's known as a 'plug-in-powered' MIC input on your MD. Then, you'll need to set input gain on the MD as well, which will vary from device to device.
    Ok, thanks for your help... i'll try and see whats up with the mic I must be doing something wrong.

Go Back to forum