• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: IVORY !!!

Share/Bookmark

IVORY !!!

I've just spent several hours to play IVORY in a music store :

First, they said "real sympatic resonance". the sustain effect sound more like a synthetic reverb
    than a pedal down convolution.
    they are no overtones and no release overtones.
    so the word "real" is not right.

The CPU meter is good but it eat a lot of memory (more than 1 GB). The DFD doesn't work correctly
    when you have more than 24 / 160 voices. (on a separate external 7200 HD USB2)
    You have to have a fast HD

the CPU performance is very good but it's eat memory again.

You hear the safe voices (strange phase effect).

The Bosendorfer is warm and indredible. It's one of the best Bosendorfer out here.
    It sound better than the official mp3 demos

but...

The Yamaha C7 doesn't sound full and right, and the Steinway sound synthetic between mf and FFF layers.
    If you want a good Yamaha, go for TBO or Vintaudio Yamaha C7

Only the PPP sound right on the Steinway. But the colour between layers are strange.
    (i've to adjust some settings)

the built effect sound like classical reverb, and haven't the same quality than the CONVOLUTION
    of Akoustik PIANO.

Ivory for the Bosendorfer only.
    Akoustik Piano Steinway D sound Warmer and better than Ivory german D Steinway.

Regards,

Olivier

Re: IVORY !!!

Olivier:

I am still using your Schimmel you have done a few years back. I still like it very much.
    You are talking about other pianos often and with obvious knowledge. I would be very much interested about your opinion of your Schimmel now? I the Classical version.

Thanks

Ted

Thank's for sharing this review !

Anybody planning to chase up Synthogy for improvements ?
    (especially for the sustain behavior...)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    Thank's for sharing this review !

Anybody planning to chase up Synthogy for improvements ?
    (especially for the sustain behavior...)
    if by this you mean the weird phase sound that seems to happen when you engage the sustain (damper) pedal, i concur. most of the time it's not noticeable, but sometimes i find i have to move the pedal controller around to hide the change better. pita for what i feel is a great product.

-john
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Thanks for sharing your view here. I agree with you based on what I have heard. I still think Ivory is one great deal for people who don't have any piano libraries. It's a good price for 3 pianos.

I don't agree with you with NI Akoustic Piano though. It sounds very plinky and thin for me. It doesn't have body or richness. I know it's personal taste, but I still prefer black grand, milan steinway and galaxy steinway for a steinway d piano.

Quote Originally Posted by panzerD
    I don't agree with you with NI Akoustic Piano though. It sounds very plinky and thin for me. It doesn't have body or richness. .
    Hi,

it's was i believed when i listened the mp3 demos. But playing now the Akoustik with my mp9000, and with some settings, Akoustik Concert grand is the best Steinway i've ever played !!!!

Full warm, versatile Steinway Sound.

Regards,

Olivier

I haven't played the NI, but in demos I've heard, the p and pp levels just aren't anywhere near as nice as IVORY. I use the German Concert D in Ivory a lot. Best I've used so far.

I don't feel the rest of their pianos are all AS good, but all are at least good. I think IVORY is an incredible value. I'm not as big a fan of the Bosendorfer in real life, much less sampled, to be a good judge of that one...

JMHO

TH

Thanks for the review.

It is interesting that the p and pp sound good, but f and above do not. It is often easier to do well on f and above.

I just finished my first recording with the Akoustik Piano and it sounds real good especially after I did some EQ.

If you're right about p and f on Ivory, it looks almost like using Ivory for pp and Akoustik for ff would be the perfect combination.

Bogdan

Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan
    Thanks for the review.

It is interesting that the p and pp sound good, but f and above do not. It is often easier to do well on f and above.

I just finished my first recording with the Akoustik Piano and it sounds real good especially after I did some EQ.

If you're right about p and f on Ivory, it looks almost like using Ivory for pp and Akoustik for ff would be the perfect combination.

Bogdan

The very soft levels of a grand piano have eluded me until IVORY. I hear soft, "barely struck" piano chords on many recorded works and have never been able to get that from a sample until Ivory. I have not noticed the F levels sounding bad either, but the soft levels are striking. The whole piano sounds very good to me, and I usually find something to dislike in every piano I've used.

I even use the German D in pop recordings, with some eq, and it sounds great.

TH

Hi,

the PPP and PP of Akoustik Concert grand D are very nice and real !
    (no lowpassed/filers PPP like Ivory to add warm effect )

Regards,

Olivier

Go Back to forum