• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tell Me A Bedtime Story (JABB) - arr Paul Read

Share/Bookmark

Tell Me A Bedtime Story (JABB) - arr Paul Read

Hi folks. I've been working with JABB about a week I guess and have a couple of demos to offer. This first is an arrangement of Herbie Hancock's "Tell Me A Bedtime Story". It is all JABB except for the one French Horn (you'll barely hear it) which is GPO.

The solos are flugelhorn and that short one near the end is sort of an alto sax. I wrestled with the sound of that for sometime, and I must say that while I am getting a great deal of enjoyment from JABB, the saxophones leave me scratching my head. The baritone is the best of the bunch in my view, but the altos with or without vibrato sound very, very thin and I can't seem to make any adjustments in the mix to help.

Having said this, I must add that as a saxophonist, I am probably more critical on this point than others, but I feel that having worked with the library for a bit and feel I am getting the hang of things (slowly), I notice that my feelings about the saxophones have not mellowed over the time spent on these projects. I simply pass along these remarks in the hopes that it will help in some way.

The mix could certainly use more work. I had a great lesson from DPDan and I am slowly getting there. I did this all into DP (no Finale) this time using my paper full score.

Point of pride: I managed to manipulate the trumpets into changing to and from harmon mute successfully! WhoooHooo!.

Comments are always welcome.

http://www.paulread.ca/songs/BedtimeStory.mp3

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: Tell Me A Bedtime Story (JABB) - arr Paul Read

Paul,

Sounding good!
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Sounds good!
    Garam Heo, Contemporary Christian Artist
    Music produced by Christopher and Craig Reeves
    http://www.garamheo.com
    http://www.youtube.com/GaramHeoMusic
    SUBSCRIBE TODAY AND JOIN OUR MAILING LIST FOR A FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD!

Just checked out your other post -- gosh, you've been busy, Paul.

Really fine job on this Hancock classic!

Paul, I have to agree on the saxonphones... they do sound a bit anemic and undernourished to me. No idea what to do to improve that; but! I'm sure persistence will find an avenue. Given the harmonic richness of the instrument... I imagine it does present some interesting difficulties in sampling.

Loved some of the trumpet work in this!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Richard, Craig and David
    Thank you for your supportive and encouraging words. As we all know, it is nice to get a pat on the back after a few hours hunched over the old mouse and keyboard. Oh well, at least i get to play Sudoku while I wait for the instances to load.
    Thanks again.

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Great work Paul.I love the arrangement, and it sounds like a colossall amount of work has gone into it.
    Most of the problems you face, you would find with any jazz library. ie convincing ensemble = 4 hours convincing solo = 4 weeks.
    As a soloist one always faces the sticky choice of whether to put down the notes you are spontaneously feeling, or should the solo be played to make the samples sound real.
    I am not sure there is a definitive answer to that one.
    I would be very curious to hear this with your live sax playing on it.My guess would be one or two live instruments would trick the ear into hearing the rest of it as real.
    I liked your up front rain-maker sound.
    You have a great Jazz voice. Congratulations, man.
    regards

Another excellent rendition! About the saxes - have you tried the cc26 controller (Tone Quality) to see what it will do? I don't know from experience if it will make a difference, but it might, eh?

Mark

One thing I noticed in the solo parts was that there was no, or nearly no, vibrato. I wonder if judicious use of that would have made for a more realistic part - it probably would for my ears - especially for the longer notes...

Mark

Hi Paul,

I enjoyed your piece! Nice melodies! I especially liked the rhythm changes throughout.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Hi Mark

I absolutely agree. I wanted to use vibrato but have yet to figure out how to get JABB to communicate Aftertouch with my Yamaha S90 (which does transmit aftertouch). But do you think I kind figure out why it isn't working? Have posted this question elsewhere, and as soon as I know how, I plan to amend these pieces.

Thanks for you comment and I think it will make a world of a difference if I can add it judiciously in all parts.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mcdoma2000
    Another excellent rendition! About the saxes - have you tried the cc26 controller (Tone Quality) to see what it will do? I don't know from experience if it will make a difference, but it might, eh?

Mark

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast