• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: The Departure Of Rosa Parks - Symph. Orch. (Sosnowski)

Share/Bookmark

The Departure Of Rosa Parks - Symph. Orch. (Sosnowski)

The Departure Of Rosa Parks
    By David Sosnowski
    For Trumpet and Symphony Orchestra

www.DavidSosnowski.com

A remembrance of her quiet courage.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Re: The Departure Of Rosa Parks - Symph. Orch. (Sosnowski)

David,

Took a couple of listens - and I'll go back later when I have more time. The piece is elegaic with a hint of blues (and, let's face it, blues can be very elegaic...). The choice of the solo trumpet is right on the mark, playing the part of the herald, the voice above the crowd, so to speak. As always, you have some very beautiful harmonic shifts: deceptive, yet honest (I hope that makes sense). My ear is lead one direction, then moved another, unexpectedly; but it never feels contrived, or too "clever".
    There is more hear than meets the ear at first listen - I am hearing things with each pass. As it should be, of course!
    A fine, beautiful tribute. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ron

This was a very poignant portrait.

I think Ron's comments said it all.

My initial reaction was to the somber ending…which would have typically been more uplifting (if depicted by the media)

...but after listening several times…yours was much more fitting.

Jeff

Bravo.Bravissimo. Standing Ovation.
    This piece brought a lump to my throat and tear to my eye. Something that doesnt happen everyday I assure you. I am almost lost for words in admiration.
    The way you qoute from the spiritual is so sincere and perfect.I was totally overcome with the beauty of the thing.
    Rosa Parks rides pretty high on my all time list of great Americans. I was first alerted to her, about 15 years ago on a keyboards session for a soul singer who had a very groovy number called "Freedom Riders".This led me to research this period of Civil Rights history. Her example of courage and dignity is an inspiration to mankind, whatever your colour or social status.
    Do you know the Neville Brothers song about her.? I am qouting from memory.
    Thank you Miss Rosa,
    You are the spark,
    that started our freedom movement,
    thank you sister Rosa Parks.

Your music has meant a great deal to me, David, this last year. And this ,for me, is a masterwork.
    thank you
    Joe

David,
    This is superb! I'm on my sixth listen now, once with the score and now soaking it in. Your choice of Rosa Parks as a subject represents courage at it's finest. And your music reflects that courage with a style that, to me, is a wonderful blend of romantic elements and an orignal New England language. I know I've said that before but that's what I hear.
    I love the opening passage and its harmonies. The trumpet solo at 2:10 reminded me of a spiritual. I also like the simple but effective use of the piano and the solid but subtle use of the horns. Very, very nice work!
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Thumbs up Re: The Departure Of Rosa Parks - Symph. Orch. (Sosnowski)

absolutely great DAVID!!!
    Your orchestral texture is wonderful and you make play the different parts of the orchestra in a very good way!!

My congrats to you for another beautiful work!!

Best,
    Roberto

Very stirring music, David. There is dignity and sadness and toughness and hopefulness in what I hear. Qualities which seem to fit the 'subject' well. Your orchestration is beautifully conceived and the rendering is wonderfully musical. You obviously take great care with that side of the coin.
    CONGRATULATIONS on a wonderful piece!
    Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

It's a nice piece, and I didn't remember the name, even if I know the story.

Know you create an opportunity to remember that big things sometime begin with a little event.

As your music developes by little events. Such a nice link.

Mayor

Beautifully and sensitively written, orchestrated and executed David. Perfect choice of instrumentation and superbly evolving harmonies. I too loved the references to "Going Home" and it's relevance to the subject matter of this piece.
    As Joe said, and I echo his sentiments, "Bravo, Bravissimo!"

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    David,

Took a couple of listens - and I'll go back later when I have more time. The piece is elegaic with a hint of blues (and, let's face it, blues can be very elegaic...). The choice of the solo trumpet is right on the mark, playing the part of the herald, the voice above the crowd, so to speak. As always, you have some very beautiful harmonic shifts: deceptive, yet honest (I hope that makes sense). My ear is lead one direction, then moved another, unexpectedly; but it never feels contrived, or too "clever".
    There is more hear than meets the ear at first listen - I am hearing things with each pass. As it should be, of course!
    A fine, beautiful tribute. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ron
    Thanks for listening, Ron.

I'd have to agree this takes a modicum of persistence to "grok" -- though just a little piece... there's quite a bit going on under the hood. In some ways, I would think that may be a serious shortcoming: Indeed, I almost did not release it.

Let me know what the final verdict is... lol -- I've been rather unable to decide, myself!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast