• Register
  • Help

Topic: Old Lady or Emperor in Vsampler?

Share/Bookmark

Old Lady or Emperor in Vsampler?

Iam a Vsampler user and I am looking into the PMI group buy which is ending this week.
    I am definitely interested in the Old Lady Steinway, and maybe in the Emperor Bosendorfer which can purchased as a bundle with the Old Lady.
    They both come in Halion 24 bit format. The Old Lady is available in Giga2 16 bit, but the Emperor is available only in Giga3 24 bit format.
    I would like to know for sure if Vsampler supports Halion 24 bit format. I downloaded the Halion 24bit/48khz playable demos of both libraries(1 octave and all Cs). It is a bit hard to say frome such a small collection of notes. The Old Lady sounds very good. The Emperor, however makes funny clicks and crackles on certain notes.
    I also wander if this has to do with the srenght of my system, P4, 2.5Ghz, 1gig RAM.

Any help appreciated, thanks

Jean

Re: Old Lady or Emperor in Vsampler?

You might ask Michael Post, the developer. Jsut explain the situation. He could quickly download the demo version of VSampler and see if it will load the pianos. I doubt he would mind, since the information would let him assure other people who may want to use VSampler with his pianos.

Let us know the result. I like VSampler, too. (Except for the actual loading of the instrument. It requires that one extra step, if I remember correctly,that I always found put-offish. I just want to be able to click on Open, see a list of instruments, and be able to click on one to load it.

Did you post your question here?

http://www.maz-sound.de/db/phorum/list.php?f=27

Oh, I see you did. I have the full version instead of the Sonar OEM.

With the full version I find Giga 2 format the one that works well.

Quote Originally Posted by hypolydien
    Iam a Vsampler user and I am looking into the PMI group buy which is ending this week.
    I am definitely interested in the Old Lady Steinway, and maybe in the Emperor Bosendorfer which can purchased as a bundle with the Old Lady.
    They both come in Halion 24 bit format. The Old Lady is available in Giga2 16 bit, but the Emperor is available only in Giga3 24 bit format.
    I would like to know for sure if Vsampler supports Halion 24 bit format. I downloaded the Halion 24bit/48khz playable demos of both libraries(1 octave and all Cs). It is a bit hard to say frome such a small collection of notes. The Old Lady sounds very good. The Emperor, however makes funny clicks and crackles on certain notes.
    I also wander if this has to do with the srenght of my system, P4, 2.5Ghz, 1gig RAM.
    Any help appreciated, thanks

Jean
    Vsampler imports these files with no problems at all. All my current giga disks have both Giga2 and Giga 3 format versions on one DVD, so you can use the GS2 version for 16 bit samples and also extract the 24 bits samples from the GS3 version. The conversion (import function of VSampler) works fine. I purchased VSampler full for this and I was kind of lost trying to adjust the parameters but in general the mapping is correct, all velocity layers are set fine and the instrument sounds fine right after conversion.
    I wanted to adjust the velocity scaling in VSampler for layers but found it hard to select a set of layers, I'm sure that when you are familiar with VSampler architecture and parameters that setting such basic things is easy.

I did not try Halion to VSampler conversion but I can guess what causes the crackles; there are some monor amplitude EG attack adjustments I made in all versions (to avoid clicks) that likely didn't survive the import procedure. Both NOTE ON and NOTE OFF samples need a little attack (2 msec range) and you should be able to adjust that in VSampler.

Your system is ok, VSampler has it's own memory-something system (I think it's disk streaming but named different to avoid patent problems) that adjusts to the file sizes.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Michiel,

Thank you so much for the reply.

So I can assume that the Emperor also comes with a GS2 version included on the DVD. It's nice to hear it from you because the product description didn't mention it. Although at that price( it's only $50 more than purchasing the Old Lady alone), I might have grabbed it anyway because I could have gotten it to work someday if not now by purchasing a translator(or GS3).

The GS2 patches of the Steinway D Grandioso I purchased this fall did translate well in Vsampler. However, the Steinway D package also contained some .gsp patches( latest version.gsp, final version.gsp) which Vsampler could not import. I was wandering if the Steinway D Halion package would have had those same patches in .fxp extension, which Vsampler can open.
    I was considering the Halion version for this next purchase thinking that this way I might be able to open all the patches. ...I don't know if I am making any sense here

I guess if I know GS2 works, this is what I should go for. Eventually, I should just get chickensys translator and solve all those issues alltogether.

Go Back to forum