• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT:How would you approach this Film?

Share/Bookmark

OT:How would you approach this Film?

Hi there,

Have a new film project that I am going after hot and heavy (it is a romantic comedy but very well shot - sort of artsy...)

I have sent the Director some theme ideas (feel based on the 'temp score' he used.) The temp music was largely from the film "About Schmidt"

Here's his email back to me.

Rob,

Thanks for sending me the samples. I really like your work. I'm very open to a radical treatment for the score, and in fact would prefer something a bit unusual. I think our temp score works fine, but I think that the film would be stronger with less conventional music. Any ideas?

The $20,000 question. The words 'radical treatment' - 'bit unusual' - 'less conventional'. What tree is he barking up :?

The samples i sent him were simple piano only sketches playing the themes. He has heard my other orchestral stuff. He may like the sample but he is looking for something else.

This is a 2 million independent film that actually has some 'real actors' in it. I am getting the feeling from my conversations with him and this email he wants some personal identity with this film.

The temp score "About Schmidt" was something I could sink my teeth in (simple but very hooky themes throughout). With this new request, I feel like I am in a darkened room asked to shoot at a target, turn the lights on - if I missed then I would have to turn the lights off again, shoot (repeat ad infinum).

Any suggestions from our members here? What would be the right questions to ask back?

Many thanks in advance (I really want this gig).

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: OT:How would you approach this Film?

Sometimes it seems that Jon Brion qualifies as the 'unconventional' score guy du jour. Whatever you think of his stuff, it does sound really different from what people expect to hear under a movie and that has an appeal.

Good luck Rob.

Interesting stuff - very listenable. Sound like my first piano

First impression was some of Lennon's solo stuff (post Beatles). The director is looking for underscore stuff at this stage - any suggestions / links for this?

Many thanks.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

sorry
    not sure what you mean
    he scored Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and also I Love Huckabees.
    Both on itunes.

Quote Originally Posted by rob morsberger
    sorry
    not sure what you mean
    he scored Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and also I Love Huckabees.
    Both on itunes.

Sorry Rob. Are all of his tunes vocals - maybe I not hitting the right sites. I'll go ahead an search spotless mind see if I can get some samples there to get an idea. Thanks (really like his stuff.)

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

naw
    lots of instrumental stuff in those films. I guess you're not a mac guy? Both soundtracks are on itunes. Perhaps a pal could download them for you and burn cds. His stuff is retro, quirky, lots of old keys....definately outside the box for filmscores. I don't think I'm a fan...yet. But I understand the appeal...maybe some clues there for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rob morsberger
    naw
    lots of instrumental stuff in those films. I guess you're not a mac guy? Both soundtracks are on itunes. Perhaps a pal could download them for you and burn cds. His stuff is retro, quirky, lots of old keys....definately outside the box for filmscores. I don't think I'm a fan...yet. But I understand the appeal...maybe some clues there for you.

Hi Rob -

found some examples on Amazon.com. Short but I get the idea. It is definitely an acquired taste - but has a singular voice that is for sure.

Wasn't there a piano library out last year that was left out in the rain for a year and then sampled - this would work perfect if my director wanted as much. Maybe too 'old school' now - I don't know.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

I would think the best way is to limit your pallate of sounds, and even try and find a wierd combination of instruments. I would almost always this means 'smaller' - more quirky instruments - a drum machine and casio, thin out your ideas, odd acoustic percussion, no synths or loops. Maybe listen to some more indie films - Napoleon Dynamite is a wierd one, again Jon Brion - maybe the film with Adam Sandler I'm totally drawing a blank but it had alot of wierd percussion that carried many scenes. I find that alot of directors on indie films don't want to try and 'sound' like a bigger Hollywood film with big orchestra, etc. (done with samples cause there's no budget). Sometimes it's better to throw the orchestra, piano out the window and think of wierd small ensemble, acoustic stuff to do it instead.........

Thanks Dominion

I think the sandler film is "punch drunk love..."

Jon Brion uses a piano - just one that was left out in the rain for 2 years.

Thanks again.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

You might also listen to the score from Richard Linklater's Waking Life. Not too weird, but a great match for a non-huge kind of film treatment.I'm not sure what your primary instrument is, but when someone wants something very personal from me, I always gravitate towards putting my trumpet and flugel out front and center. I find that I can shift gears a lot more quickly on something that I can play well.

Go Back to forum