• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aftertouch & JABB

Share/Bookmark

Aftertouch & JABB

Hi folks.
    Everday a new question or two it seems. I have been trying to get my JABB instruments to respond to aftertouch so I can add some tasteful vibrato here and there and, no luck. I use a Yamaha S90 keyboard and I suppose there is a chance that there is a communication problem there, but before delving further in that direction, is there something that needs to be done on the JABB front that I have overlooked. I have just completed a project, without an ounce of vibrato. Not bad....but....

Suggestions? Help? MEDIC!

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: Aftertouch & JABB

In DP look at the Set up menu > set input filter.

I use a Yamaha P90,it does not transmit aftertouch.So you can draw in the controller information. Or get one of the cheap small keyboards that have a lot of knobs to send cc information.
    I use an m-audio oxygen 8. 8 knobs and a slider.
    regards

Hi Joaz.
    Thanks for that. What controller affects aftertouch? I can't seem to get my head around this at all. Apparently, my keyboard is supposed to send it, but it's not happenin'. Therefore maybe I'll try using controller data instead.

Thanks

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    I use a Yamaha P90,it does not transmit aftertouch.So you can draw in the controller information. Or get one of the cheap small keyboards that have a lot of knobs to send cc information.
    I use an m-audio oxygen 8. 8 knobs and a slider.
    regards
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    Hi Joaz.
    Thanks for that. What controller affects aftertouch? I can't seem to get my head around this at all. Apparently, my keyboard is supposed to send it, but it's not happenin'. Therefore maybe I'll try using controller data instead.

Thanks

Paul
    As far as i know, aftertouch is cc131, therfore a special category of controller, as the others are 1-127.
    If I am wrong, someone please chime in, because I am not any kind of technical guru.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    What controller affects aftertouch?
    Aftertouch does not have a controller number, it exists as a separate controller named "aftertouch" or "channel pressure." Aftertouch comes in two flavors: "mono" and "poly." We use the most common one, "mono aftertouch."

M-Audio keyboards do not have aftertouch so they allow users to assign cc131 to that function with their assignable sliders and knobs. Moving the slider or knob assigned to cc131 sends out aftertouch data (not cc131.) It's M-Audio's workaround.

Your keyboard's manual should tell you if it is aftertouch capable. If it is, you can test the function by recording MIDI data from your keyboard to a track in your sequencer. Play and hold a note while recording. As you hold the note press down harder on the key, then gradually reduce the pressure. Release the note. Stop your sequencer and examine the data in the track (use the event list.) If your sequencer is not set to filter aftertouch then you should see aftertouch (or channel pressure) data in the track.

Aftertouch data can always be drawn into your tracks, after the fact, if your keyboard does not have aftertouch. This is usually accomplished in the piano roll view of most sequencers.

For vibrato:

Aftertouch = vibrato intensity
    cc17 = vibrato speed

Tom

Thanks for the clarification Tom. I rarely post any technical advice, because I dont have any real idea what I am doing half the time. I seem to just push a lot of buttons semi-randomly, till I like how it sounds.
    regards
    ps I prefer the curve ball to the slider.

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    I seem to just push a lot of buttons semi-randomly, till I like how it sounds.
    Yes, but you semi-randomly push them so well!

Tom

Go Back to forum