• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Grateful Dead sell out

Share/Bookmark

The Grateful Dead sell out

Mind you, I'm a big fan of musicians getting paid for their work, and consequently I'm against web sites that illegally share music for free that the artist wants to be paid for. After all, it's our livelihood.

And then there's the Grateful Dead. Deadheads the world over (I'm not a member of that club but have admired their loyalty) have flocked to their concerts and followed them on the road. The band always encouraged them to tape, and share, their live gigs. It was part of the sub culture, part of being a "Deadhead". They even cordoned off areas by the mixing board for those who wanted to tape the gig. It was all part of their peace, love, and sharing vibe.

So you can imagine my surprise a few minutes ago when I read an article in the New York Times that the band is now demanding that a web site no longer make Grateful Dead concert recordings available for download and sharing. It seems that the band now has a site selling downloads of their live concerts, and don't want them given away and shared anymore.

Hey, it's their music to do with as they please. However, for a band who was all about social issues and commentary, peace and love, not becoming part of the commercial machine (and for several decades, at that), well, hypocracy is the only term that my thesaurus can find.

All just a sign of the times, I suppose. I wonder if it will ever become trendy again to stand by what you believe in? One wonders what Jerry Garcia would have thought of this...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: The Grateful Dead sell out

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    One wonders what Jerry Garcia would have thought of this...
    It gets even worse...look at this; they're selling Garcia's toilet on eBay=> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4484640.stm

...one man gathers what another man spills!

;-)
    jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Sell that to our government and they'll make a fortune!
    Styxx

Hey, it's their music to do with as they please. However, for a band who was all about social issues and commentary, peace and love, not becoming part of the commercial machine (and for several decades, at that), well, hypocracy is the only term that my thesaurus can find.
    I don't know about that. The Dead were always selling what they could of their music and their brand, and Jerry Garcia had a line of ties and various other investments. He once said, "There's the music, and everything else is bull(pucky)." You should check out his estate records on the Smoking Gun website. Very interesting. Several BMWs, etc.

Is it just "a web site" that they don't want the live concerts traded on? Is there a particular reason why that one? I'm sure people will be trading their own Dead recordings on the internet and elsewhere, regardless of this.

Okay, this is what I found on http://www.gdlive.com -
    STATEMENT TO MP3 OPERATORS FROM THE GRATEFUL DEAD

So they don't want other people making money from trading or sharing their live recordings. I think that's always been the case, so if that's all it is then there's no change at all. But you can still share recordings, even on the internet. And that's absolutely their right to enforce and they should make money from downloads of their music, because it's their music.

Sorry, Chris, but I'm still waving that flag for them. No foul.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot
    Sorry, Chris, but I'm still waving that flag for them. No foul.
    I still wave the flag, too! It was the "about face" that I took issue with, not whether or not they make a buck. In my mind, musicians simply can't be overpaid.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I still wave the flag, too! It was the "about face" that I took issue with, not whether or not they make a buck. In my mind, musicians simply can't be overpaid.
    Yeah, but if that's all it was, then there was no "about face". They've never wanted people to sell their recordings, and they're probably just enforcing that in the new form of internet downloads.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Here's the NYT article (free membership required)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/30/ar...24llS1FtR/+ehA

The site in question is www.archive.org - as best as I can tell, they don't make money from the stuff. Here's what's on their home page:

"The Internet Archive is building a digital library of Internet sites and other cultural artifacts in digital form. Like a paper library, we provide free access to researchers, historians, scholars, and the general public.The Internet Archive is building a digital library of Internet sites and other cultural artifacts in digital form. Like a paper library, we provide free access to researchers, historians, scholars, and the general public."

Mind you, I don't know anything about these guys or whether or not they have permission to post any of the other material for free. They could be a complete pirate site for all I know. However, in the specific case of the Grateful Dead, sharing free concert recordings appears to be in the spirit of Deadheads everywhere, hence my initial reaction to the news. It struck me as saying (and physically supporting) one thing for 30 years and then suddenly saying, "Oh, we didn't really mean that."
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I don't have time to check them all out right now, but at the bottom of www.archive.org there are some links to forum posts that might shed some light on this. Looks like it might be an "internal battle" going on...

When I get time we'll look some more...but I agree with Chris, as long as there is no money being made, this sounds like a complete turnaround!

...fortune comes a'calling, calliope woman, spinning that curious sense of your own. Can you answer, yes I can! Debbie Koons, perhaps?

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

"Now I don't know, but I've been told
    It's hard to walk with the weight of gold.
    On the other hand I've heard it said,
    It's just as hard with the weight of lead."

The Grateful Dead
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Archive.org uses an Alexa bot to crawl the internet and cache pages. They do not ask for permission do crawl a site (at least they never asked me, but I don't mind)

However, blocking them in a robots.txt file will stop them from doing it.

Go Back to forum