• It should be called the Christmas CD

56 94.92%
  • I want to be named the Holiday CD

3 5.08%
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: "Christmas" or "Holiday" CD

Share/Bookmark

"Christmas" or "Holiday" CD

I received a message expressing concern that our communty CD may be titled a "Christmas" CD and should be a "Holiday" CD. Last year's CD was titled "A GPO Christmas" and it was very successful.

Is anyone offended by the word "Christmas" being on our CD?

Re: "Christmas" or "Holiday" CD

I prefer "Christmas".

Second question: Will anyone be offended if "Christmas" is ditched for political correctness?

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I received a message expressing concern that our communty CD may be titled a "Christmas" CD and should be a "Holiday" CD. Last year's CD was titled "A GPO Christmas" and it was very successful.

Is anyone offended by the word "Christmas" being on our CD?
    Hi Gary,

I too prefer Christmas!

Thanks,
    Toby

I too prefer "Christmas"

On an side-note, for political correctness a local elementary school put on a play a few years ago entitled "How the Grinch Stole the Holidays"

Of course, I celebrate Festivus myself . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I don't know, I think Holiday is more broader... But either way, I don't think it should really offend anyone.
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Arrow Re: "Christmas" or "Holiday" CD

No matter how you slice or dice it, Christmas has its roots in the birth of Christ. Given the current playlist of at least 1/2 of the songs being Christ oriented I don't see why it should be a `Holiday' CD instead of a Christmas CD. People can try to take Christ out of Christmas and that is their choice and I have no problems with it. However, you can't take Christ out of the music. You don't have a `Silent Night' or `We Three Kings' or `O Come All Ye Faithful' without Christ. So my vote is that the CD title keeps the word Christmas. Just as those who want Christians to tolerate their beliefs they need to tolerate ours. Christmas would not be here if it were not for Christ, so why try to take him out of the picture?

-LFO

Carol Of The Bells... Johnny Lost
    Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire... DPDAN
    O Come All Ye Faithful... Falcon1
    In Dulci Jubilo... Dan Powers
    Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas... Joaz
    We Three Kings... Moviemaestro
    Coventry Carol... Jerry Wickham
    Here We Come A Wassailing... Sean Hannifin
    Huron Carol... bluemax
    Lo! How A Rose E're Blooming... DPDAN
    Un Flambeau, Jeannette, Isabelle... Matolen
    Once in Royal David's City... Wayne Rowley
    God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen... Louis D
    Wassail, Wassail All Over The Town... Godfrey
    Jingle Bells... Richard N
    Wexford Carol... Snorlax
    Bach's Christmas Oratorio... Dan Powers
    Pat-a-Pan... Drumroll
    Little Drummer Boy... Styxx
    The First Noel... Robsmusic
    Deck The Halls... David Maddux
    Silent Night... DZComposer
    Come, O Come Emmanuel... Karl Garrett
    Good King Wenceslas...Dan E
    Away In A Manger... Rhap2
    Not Yet Titled... JMC
    Lonely at Christmas Without You, or something like that... Prince of Music
    Fantasy Impromptu for Organ on a Burgundian Carol... Richard Wayland
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I agree with LFO.
    Most of the songs are Christmas Carols, so I vote Christmas.

-Chris
    Last edited by cptexas; 11-29-2005 at 09:34 PM. Reason: when will I ever spell right?

I also agree...These are Christmas carols and songs about Christmas. If you want to have a "Holiday CD", let's do that next year and include celebratory music for all the December Holidays!

RichR

While I could argue about the origins of Christmas, I do agree that the majority of the songs are indeed Christmas carols and so it should be titled accordingly

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    No matter how you slice or dice it, Christmas has its roots in the birth of Christ. [...] Christmas would not be here if it were not for Christ, so why try to take him out of the picture?
    Well, the *name* of Christmas certainly has its roots in Christianity.

However, to "slice or dice" in a more historical (and factual) context, the holiday itself was co-opted by Christians from the pagan holiday Saturnalia, celebrating the winter solstice for many centuries prior to the rise of Christianity. So while Christ's Christmas came about in the 4th Century or so, the roots are actually much older, and wouldn't have even happened on December 25th if not for its pagan roots!

Saturnalia is still celebrated until this day in pagan gatherings, and many of its aspects appear in various secular (read: commercial) trappings of Christmas that were subsequentally attributed to the Santa Claus mythos. How do you like your Christmas tree and stockings now?

I also don't think it would be mere "political correctness" to acknowledge that other celebrations happen this time of year. There's this little thing called "Chanukah" that some of us may or may not celebrate, but that typically doesn't go noticed by the majority! Not that the minority is particularly "offended", nor ignores the secular festivities in their entirety. After all, there are songs like "Jingle Bells" and "Winter Wonderland" with no overt reference to Christmas, just "seasonal delight".

But since I don't think anybody did an arrangement of "The Dreidle Song" , it probably is correct to call it "Christmas music".

But then again, do you know who wrote "White Christmas"? Irving Berlin: a JEW! (sorry, no yarmulke smiley available on NSS )

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum