• Register
  • Help

Topic: Saw John Williams live... wow...

Share/Bookmark

Saw John Williams live... wow...

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    On Saturday night, I saw John Williams conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. He performed several of his own works, as well as a few tributes to other composers. All I can say is: wow. Since I've never seen a John Williams printed score, it's neat to watch the orchestra play and see how he chooses his orchestration. Did you know a lot of his pieces use piano mixed in with the rest of the orchestra? Several times, I saw the woman at the piano pounding away now and then.. and though it's drowned out by the rest of the orchestra, I'm sure it adds something to the overall sound of the piece.

Some of the pieces he performed: Imperial March from Star Wars (quite awesome to hear/see it live!); from Harry Potter: Hedwig's Theme, Aunt Marge's Waltz, and Harry's Wondrous World; main theme from Indiana Jones; a couple themes from Close Encounters of the Third Kind; Cowboy's Overture from The Cowboys.. and a lot more. They also played Goldsmith's Star Trek theme, which was awesome!

Williams occasionally picked up a mic and talked to the audience, which was cool and unexpected, either to explain a bit about a piece he was about to conduct, or to share an anecdote. It was an awesome experience. Now if only Howard Shore would come to the CSO and have Lord of the Rings music played live..
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: Saw John Williams live... wow...

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    Now if only Howard Shore would come to the CSO and have Lord of the Rings music played live..
    ....you would probably die of total boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    ....you would probably die of total boredom.

Hey Sam. Don't mind Paul. He's just jealous because he's a HUGE Harry Potter fan.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Talking Re: Saw John Williams live... wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    Hey Sam. Don't mind Paul. He's just jealous because he's a HUGE Harry Potter fan.
    As a matter of fact - I just received two JW scores direct from the good 'ol US of A this morning via fedex - one of which is Close Encounters and the other is..............

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Sam,

LOTR was played live in Chicago at the Auditorium Theatre about a year ago. HS was in attendance, though he didn't conduct. Was a great show - massive amount of bodies on stage.

I had the chance to see John Williams live back in April when he came to the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. It was a great experience, though I must admit I enjoy his very tonal film music more than his non-film music. But there was a bit of both. One of his non-film pieces though was a Violin Concerto with Gil Shaham on the violin, who was absolutely incredible. I also love Williams's orchestration for both film and non-film music; he's simply one of the best.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by dvincent
    massive amount of bodies on stage.
    Was that before, or after they were killed?

Go Back to forum