• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB and Digital Performer: HELP needed

Share/Bookmark

JABB and Digital Performer: HELP needed

Hi
    I'm in the process of putting a big band composition into DP4.6 using JABB and am experiencing CPU overload issues. I have tried thinning continuous data (I notice that mod wheel data is everywhere in the brass and reeds and thought that might be clogging the machine a little, but I have set values as high as 60 in that parameter and no noticeable change. I've increased the size of the buffer to 512 in the system setup (I was using 256 to reduce latency). And still it seems that any of the louder, tutti areas redline the cpu and cause distortion. As I am basically at my wits end and have doggeared my DP manual looking for help, I thought I might hear from a wizard or two on these forums. (DPDan and others are you listening?).
    HELP!
    Paul

Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: JABB and Digital Performer: HELP needed

Hi Paul,
    what I am about to say is not going to make you happy, but in my opinion, Mac computers (any speed/model) don't like VST instruments. As you know, I use DP 4.6 on a Mac dual 2.0 with 3.5 gigs of ram, and I absolutley love it!!!!

All of my sampled sounds are played by a very inexpensive store bought Dell 3.06 ghz PC with 2 gigs of ram. I use a VST host program called V-STack (59 bucks) on the Dell PC to host (load) about as many sounds I want. V-STack can load 16 instances of any VST players like GPO's Kontak player. That can be a variety of GPO Kontakt players, JABB, Trilogy Bass, Atmosphere etc. It is very powerful. Of course getting multiple audio tracks out of the PC into DP via a MOTU Traveler is only eight at a time. (one ADAT) I always record everything to audio tracks anyway, I like doing things that way.

As long as you are using DP and sampled instruments at the same time on the same computer, you will be dissapointed. I know that does not seem right, but DP is a huge program, and can use alot of a Dual G5, especially if you use plugins galore like I do, and fader as well as aux send automation on virtually every audio track.

I use pitch correction in the audo tracks and draw a ton of pitch bend data for slurring of notes in the midi tracks. Is that called portamento? I am still learning alot of this music terminology.

PM me so we can share some DP stuff if you like.

Dan

Hi Dan
    It seems to me you are the *man* on this forum with respect to DP so your words were both helpful and a little discouraging. I think this means I am not going to be able to solve my problem without going to a similar setup where I have a separate computer in charge of VST. Sheesh! And I thought I had plenty of MacMuscle.

I suppose that a temporary solution (until another computer is in my hands) is to record each track to audio and then take on the mixing process from there so I am no longer relying on the VST instruments at all. Does that make sense?

I will at some point PM you as it appears I am in need of expert advice in every direction on this. I haven't experienced much of a problem with GPO so far. It is so much different with JABB. Must be the way things are programmed.

Thanks again

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi Paul,
    what I am about to say is not going to make you happy, but in my opinion, Mac computers (any speed/model) don't like VST instruments. As you know, I use DP 4.6 on a Mac dual 2.0 with 3.5 gigs of ram, and I absolutley love it!!!!

All of my sampled sounds are played by a very inexpensive store bought Dell 3.06 ghz PC with 2 gigs of ram. I use a VST host program called V-STack (59 bucks) on the Dell PC to host (load) about as many sounds I want. V-STack can load 16 instances of any VST players like GPO's Kontak player. That can be a variety of GPO Kontakt players, JABB, Trilogy Bass, Atmosphere etc. It is very powerful. Of course getting multiple audio tracks out of the PC into DP via a MOTU Traveler is only eight at a time. (one ADAT) I always record everything to audio tracks anyway, I like doing things that way.

As long as you are using DP and sampled instruments at the same time on the same computer, you will be dissapointed. I know that does not seem right, but DP is a huge program, and can use alot of a Dual G5, especially if you use plugins galore like I do, and fader as well as aux send automation on virtually every audio track.

I use pitch correction in the audo tracks and draw a ton of pitch bend data for slurring of notes in the midi tracks. Is that called portamento? I am still learning alot of this music terminology.

PM me so we can share some DP stuff if you like.

Dan
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    It is so much different with JABB. Must be the way things are programmed.
    JABB programming is often much more complex than GPO and puts a greater demand on CPU power. That's one of the reasons we raised the minimum requirements in the specs compared to GPO.

Tom

Thanks Tom.
    Yes, I have noticed the requirements differences described in the JABB manual (p.6). My system exceeds the minimum, as far as I can tell, which is why I was surprised at the overload problem. However, it appears from Dan's comment above, that the difficulty lies partly with Digital Performer and it's use of RAM. I actually can't add anything more in the memory department to my computer. All slots full now. So I will continue to work the problem.

Congratulations by the way on great results. I have finished putting in a full big band composition today (over 200 measures) and the results are good. I am trying to work around my overload problems so I can upload it to the demo site. It was fun using the new library for the first time. Lots to explore!!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    JABB programming is often much more complex than GPO and puts a greater demand on CPU power. That's one of the reasons we raised the minimum requirements in the specs compared to GPO.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    I always record everything to audio tracks anyway, I like doing things that way.

Dan,
    Just a quick update. By recording my midi tracks to audio (I've only done half so far), the problem is fixed. So that is excellent news. I know you recommended this to me before, and the penny finally dropped as they say, so I have it figured out.

Further: I don't suppose there is a way to record multiple audio tracks at once and still have individual control of each track? I sense this might be possible with some complicated bussing scheme, but I haven't approached that. One thing at a time for me!

Do you do your pitch bend drawing in midi tracks before recording? I think that is what you meant.

Thanks again
    Paul

Go Back to forum