• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: TBO VS Real Piano

Share/Bookmark

TBO VS Real Piano

Just got the same song in two versions from Howard Vigorita at Ragtime Press (www.rtpress.com)
    This is a song called the "Creeks of Missouri" and is composed by Galen Wilkes. Played by Sue Keller.
    The first one are played using TBO, the other one on a real piano.
    Howard says: "Amazing how similar they sound. Only give away is the pedal release sound on the last note."
    Listen for yourself:
    Creeks of Missouri-TBO1
    Creeks of Missouri-Real Piano

Read more about TBO here!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Re: TBO VS Real Piano

I've had the TBO library for a while but only got a chance to really play with it this past holiday weekend after I polished off the project I was working on. I recorded the real-piano version in my living room using small diaphragm AB/omnis, surrounding it with max-walls to minimize the room. I don't want to mention the brand-name of the piano but suffice its something that was exhibited at NAMM last year which I had imported with a view towards sampling. I also had a tft recording strip installed into its Renner action which is how I was able to capture the midi file for the TBO1.gsi version.

The composer Galen Wilkes, btw, is a good friend living in Van Nuys, CA and is probably the worlds premier contemporary ragtime composer. Here's a link to his web site:

http://galenwilkes.tripod.com/

Howard

Thank you guys for posting this....very interesting and a hard to separate comparison....now how about the TSO which I've downloaded. How would that compare? Sampled pianos really are so close to the real thing now..... for most of us.

I'm very fond of Ragtime and I thought that this was a very nice piece although I'm afraid I haven't heard of Galen Wilkes or Sue Keller until now. I've looked at some of the links and festivals Scott Joplin Festival in Sedalia though and have ordered the ragtime catalogue from rtpress.com. I need to get up to date with the old time. Now I know what they all look like and I also downloaded Sue's Maple leaf but wasn't fond of her arrangement of this standard. How dare these people have the skill and virtuosity to add frills to pieces which I can barely play! I must hear more.

Thanks for this.

Frank

TBO actually sounds better...

The thing to listen to here, and compare, are really the dynamic response between the real piano and TBO.
    Of course te dynamic transition between pp and ff on the real instrument are transparent, but I think that TBO comes really, really close. With lesser velocity samples, you tend to trigger the same sample several times over a larger velocity area. That means that you wont get the change in timbre that you get on the real instrument. TBO, with it's 31 layers (well, actually 93 if you count pedal up/down and release) will trigger more samples and therefore give a more natural feel and sound.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Cool Re: TBO VS Real Piano

Another vote for TBO, The TBO actually sounds better that the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ddarwin7
    Another vote for TBO, The TBO actually sounds better that the real thing.
    Real pianos suck in comparison.....

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Real pianos suck in comparison.....

Frank
    Now, THAT'S a good slogan....
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

LOL... indeed

Thumbs up Re: TBO VS Real Piano

God Worra, you just nailed it man!

I am living in "Brokes-ville" right now and don't have the absolute luxury of owning this yet, but the hope is that will soon change. I DL'd the demo and I've not been inspired like that in a long time. I gave up the stress of being a classical competition pianist and now enjoy putting my chops to use in the studio. While TSO was very tempting, I didn't want to take away from any money that could eventually go towards TBO. Is TBO too big for your plans of full version downloads, or is that in the cards?

Regardless, thank you for such an amazing offering. I own roughly 5 other "brand X" libs which I enjoy, but this really is a step up to me. Hey, you haven't already bought me a Christmas present yet, have you?!

Great work! Best! -Tweed

Go Back to forum