• Register
  • Help

Topic: My opinion about JABB

Share/Bookmark

My opinion about JABB

After playing around with JABB for a while now I have to say that I am
    highly dissapointed with this library. My biggest concern is the lack of articulations...not even staccato notes seem to be provided. The instruments also appear to be sampled in whole tones instead of being recorded chromatically (which is clearly audible). To me it seems as if every instrument is sampled in only one velocity layer. The variable attack of the samples(which is supposed to be controlled via velocity) is nothing else than a simple attack parameter that sounds very artificial when played softly.
    Perhaps the should have sampled one trumpet instead of five and actually capture the instrument to a decent degree, but in my opinion this library is not capable of sounding realistic. Essentially you only get one sustained patch per instrument. Try playing some Gil Evans with that....
    I wish I could get my money back...

Re: My opinion about JABB

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob Anthoff
    My biggest concern is the lack of articulations...not even staccato notes seem to be provided. The instruments also appear to be sampled in whole tones instead of being recorded chromatically (which is clearly audible). To me it seems as if every instrument is sampled in only one velocity layer...Perhaps the should have sampled one trumpet instead of five and actually capture the instrument to a decent degree, but in my opinion this library is not capable of sounding realistic. Essentially you only get one sustained patch per instrument.
    Jakob,
    The instruments were recorded chromatically. For a variety of technical reasons some exceptions were made in the programming.

JABB does things a bit different than the libraries you may have been accustomed to in the past. It is not a traditional multi-articulation sample library where you slect sampled 'articulations' and insert them. It is beyone that. It is a playable articulation library and the articulations are produced by sound-shaping with the use of controllers. This provides an endless array of real-time playing possibilities rather than snapshots of a limited articulation set. A different approach that lends itself quite nicely to jazz. But a different paradigm that requires practice with the use of controllers. Give it some time and get accustomed to the use of the many control options available and I think you will get the hang of it.

Gary Garritan

Thanks for your reply

I'll try around some more then...any hints on how to get a convincing staccato from the trumpets?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob Anthoff
    Thanks for your reply

I'll try around some more then...any hints on how to get a convincing staccato from the trumpets?
    Use cc21 - Length control. The length can be shortened for a variety of short notes inclusing staccato. Is this in conjunction withvelocity to give a wide array of articulation types ranging from short and light to accented and forceful. Also be sure to use variability controls and the release effects. Please refer to pages 22 - 26 in the manual on how to acheive the various playing techniques for the brass instruments.
    hope this helps,
    Gary Garitan

cheers

what I call customer support!

Yeah, I remember about a year ago, calling for customer support and realizing, in the middle of a very helpful phone call, that I was talking to Gary himself...

How often does that happen with a product in the year 2005? I thought I was dreaming at the time...

I can hardly wait for my JABB to come -- I got notice via e-mail yesterday that it's on its way... yippee!

Steve
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

From what Gary mentioned earlier, I gather ( and hope ) that the JABB package in conjunction with Finale 2006a will read the articlations and dynamics specified on the score ..

Haven't got mine yet , but am looking forward to its arrival!

The demo is a killer, Gary!

Phil Kelly
    Northwest Prevailing Winds
    Origin Records

Go Back to forum