• Register
  • Help

Topic: Do you need Classical Choir for the Extended Classical Choir?

Share/Bookmark

Do you need Classical Choir for the Extended Classical Choir?

Hello,

I need a choir but I am on buget so the old classical choir from Siedlaczek comes to my mind. The problem is that I can't find the differences between these two products. Do I need the classical choir for the extended classical choir or is the extrended CC a whole new library?

Thanks

Re: Do you need Classical Choir for the Extended Classical Choir?

Personally, I think you need a different product all together. But no, you don’t need the original to get the Extended. Extended is the version they re-programmed for Giga.

Hmm.. you'd actually be surprised at how little progress there has been from ye olde Extended classical choir in the choral lib arena...
    With a little creative home recording it is possible to fill in the missing consonants, at which point its a match for almost anything out there...

*sigh* we all await the coming of a truly useable choral lib......

Thanks for your help.

Bill, about which product do you think? I didn't find another product in that price area (I can buy the extended classical choir for 100 euro).

jc5, you mean that the consonants are missing in the "normal" classical choir, right? I belief in the extended version they are included.

It has been a while since I looked, but even in the extended version the consonants are not complete - there are some but not all. The sustained 'mmm' and rolled 'rrr' are some of the nicest out there, but if I'm not mistaken there is little else...

Ah ok.

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    With a little creative home recording it is possible to fill in the missing consonants, at which point its a match for almost anything out there...
    Can you give me some hints how to achieve that? :-)
    Did you make them on your own?

regards
    Cornelius

Quote Originally Posted by cornelius
    Ah ok.

Can you give me some hints how to achieve that? :-)
    Did you make them on your own?

regards
    Cornelius
    Yes, it is something that can be done fairly easily (it was simple enough in my case at least!) with a little experimentation.

Consonants are a hard 'percussive' sound (for the most part), so it is not necessary (or even possible for ones such as hard 'ttt' or 'kkk') to sample them across the range - one will do for the whole range, since it is a short essentially non-tonal sound. The following vowel sustain is what will, of course, give the note its pitch (exceptions being, for example, the held 'mmm' and rolled 'rrr' which can have pitch when held - which is possibly why these were provided but not others? who knows).

Record each consonant more than once, then stack them up. Pitch-shift each version for more variants. Possibly even make use of things like Clone Ensemble, or other chorusing effects to increase the 'numbers'. Make sure the volumes are balanced to the sustains. Then off you go, program them into a patch and use them together with the other sounds and you will be able to make the choir sing whatever you please - if you are careful about what you are doing, it can actually be pretty understandable. As much as any of the others for now at least!

I think I will buy the giga version (for kontakt2) from the extended classical choir tomorrow.

Go Back to forum