• Register
  • Help

Topic: Connecting my MIDI keyboard to my computer

Share/Bookmark

Connecting my MIDI keyboard to my computer

So far with my music I have been writing in notes, etc, but it is getting painfully redundant and on some days, the prospect of doing such a task almost makes me not want to load up my program.

I have a MIDI keyboard which I use to make my ideas which I transfer to my computer through writing notes. I want to record MIDI directly from my keyboard. The problem is, my computer isn't very good (I know, it's bad news if I want to make music), but I use it anyways. The sound card, however, is just a Creative SB Live! card, and I don't see a MIDI port anywhere. I can't order on the internet, or upgrade (at least, if it's too much money) and live in Toronto, and I'm having trouble finding any other way to use my keyboard.

Is there any other way I can connect my MIDI keyboard to my computer?

Re: Connecting my MIDI keyboard to my computer

You need a simple MIDI interface. Go to Sweetwater.com, musiciansfriend.com, audiomidi.com...somewhere like that. Or SavedByTechnology.com - that store is in Tronnoh.

M-Audio and Edirol make inexpensive 1-in 1-out interfaces for about $40.

The sound card, however, is just a Creative SB Live! card, and I don't see a MIDI port anywhere.

The SB Live does MIDI through its joystick port, although some recent cards apparently have left that port off. Should you possess the port, you can get (for about $US20) a commonly-available cable to hook in. The MIDI performance is good, certainly adequate for what you intend. With soundfonts loaded, you can also play that card as a real-time synthesizer, once hooked up.

The Live is not a fabulous soundcard, but it's not the worst thing imaginable, either. You'll be fine, if you get the interface cable.

The M-Audio and Edirol MIDI interfaces mentioned are a reasonable alternative; they cost only about $40 and hook up handily through USB.

Larry

Yes, I see the joystick port. Now, I'm assuming these cables are going to cover both in and out for this port? Also, are they available at say, Radio Shack, general electronics stores or do I have to go to a speciality store. And, is there any extra customization needed or will it work straight off the bat in Cubase?

And, thanks very much for the link to that store in Toronto, I'm definitely going there soon.

Now, if I get MIDI hooked up, will there be a delay between pressing a key and having it played by my computer, when using libraries like GPO? I doubt there will be a problem when just using MIDI or low sized soundfonts, but I'm guessing there will be a delay with these larger samples?

Go Back to forum