• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Joaz 1st Jabb "July4"

Share/Bookmark

Cool Joaz 1st Jabb "July4"

As promised many moons ago I have redone my July 4th competition entry with JABB. It is an arrangement of an old spiritual Go Down Moses.
    I was seeking to emulate those famous albums by Gil Evans and Miles Davis.
    To avoid any confusion, this new version is done solely with JABB.
    Fr Hrns became a sax section.
    Bass Flute became Bass Clarinet.
    Celeste became Fender Rhodes.
    In the intro, the original Fr hrns which qouted the anthem have been replaced by Baritone Sax and Tuba.
    Any and all feedback welcome.
    Go Down Moses JABB.mp3
    New version.
    Go Down Moses JABB Vers 2.0.mp3
    and for those who like to compare.....
    Go Down Moses original GPO version.mp3
    regards

Re: Joaz 1st Jabb "July4"

Outstanding Joaz! What a difference, those drums are excellent.

I really like the beginning. Gotta rework those flugel chords on the rest, though: sounds like a keyboard voicing to me!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Joaz

What an interesting comparison. I agree with the asessment of the drums in the post above - VERY nice. In fact the whole rhythm section is excellent. Good emulation of the Miles and Gil approach. I like the scoops in the trombones. Did you do this entirely in a sequencer (which one?). Any notation software involved? I'm having a little trouble managing memory with full big band sequences so far (I find the drums really push the CPU when they are added). Also the reason I suspect sequencer only is that the feel you get in your sequence is very nice. My initial experiments using both DP and Finale show that the only way to get a good swing feel is to play it into a sequencer with the desired feel. Finale's human playback swings like a rusty gate.
    Nice work!!

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

I agree with Markelford, the comping sounds like chords played on a piano... another way to improve this is to lower the sounds of these parts considerably.

Fun piece though Joaz!!!!!
    This is exciting, you also need to put an end on it IMO
    Dan

Wow! Superb, Joaz. This is/was a damned fine piece in the original version... but the JABB, yes indeed, it does sure make a world of difference in the feel of it.

But you leave me with some difficult choices, my friend. I do like some of the sonorities in the original version (especially the opening, oh, say) somewhat better -- my classical inclinations bleeding through, no doubt.

Do GPO and JABB get along well together?

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by tmonaghan
    Outstanding Joaz! What a difference, those drums are excellent.
    Thanks Tony, this is the best Jazz drum sample set I have ever heard. I think I must have spent half of my life listening to records from the Blue Note label, and when I first heard the JABB ride cymbal, I jumped for joy and shouted BLUE NOTE !!!
    regards

Markleford and DPDAN, yes indeed the comping chords (Trombones bye the way) use piano type voiceings.This is the technique Gil Evans used in his piano-less big band.They also stab semi-randomly like a pianist. A good example of this styling would be "It aint necesarrily so" from the "Porgy and Bess" album.
    Gil Evans often used instruments of the big band in a non traditional way, I am a huge fan of his arrangements, though it is fair to say, not everyone likes his stuff.
    I think I may have mixed the bones a bit too loud, they do seem to have a "brassier" sound than the GPO ones. I may have another look at the levels. Thanks for the input.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by daerp@mac.com
    Did you do this entirely in a sequencer (which one?). Any notation software involved? .

Paul
    Thanks Paul, Sequencer only, Cubase. Jazz drum programming is notoriously difficult to get right, primarily because swing is a moveable feast.The swing can be an easy triplet or a hard swung 16th note and in very fast bop tempos it flattens out to almost a straight 8th note.
    Everything was played in live and then tidied up a bit in the piano roll editor.
    Apart from the odd howler and some velocity editing, The Solo Tpt has been un-edited.
    regards

I'm also impressed by the bass: it fit in so well, I hadn't thought to comment on it at first. Good walking, too.

(And I'm more Bill Evans than Gil Evans. )

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum