• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB Question

Share/Bookmark

JABB Question

Is there a way to unlink the mod wheel from volume and re-assign it to tongue/slur?

Thanks!

Re: JABB Question

Also, Is anyone else experiencing this?

-- every time a track stops playing, (whether at the end, or if I stop it manually) the mod wheel returns the volumes for all parts to zero.

Sounds like you are manually moving the mod-wheel on the interface. That's why that happens. You need to insert modulation CC information into your sequencer's piano roll, at least at the start of the track. This will set the starting dynamic volume for the track.

If you don't do that, you'll run into what you're seeing now.

Also, some sequencers will reset basic controllers upon transport stop.

For example, in SONAR look at: "Options|Project...|MIDI Out|Zero Controllers When Play Stops"

But as Joseph indicates, put at CC#1 (Mod Wheel) message at the start of the track, at least. This will also make sure that the volume is correct when your project is first loaded.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Thanks guys, So I guess there's no unlinking the volume from the mod wheel?

Gotcha!

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Ramseur

Gotcha!

Craig
    The straightest answer to your question is - it depends on what equipment you are using. With my setup, the answer is YES, I can assign the modwheel on my keyboard to any CC that I wish, but that is a function of my keyboard, not an option in JABB.

The less straight answer, is to ask the question "why do you want to do this?". Do you not have a footpedal?
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Ramseur
    If your host can handle MFX plugins, you could use my TenCrazy.com MFX CC Map to remap the mod wheel (CC#1) to any other controller. Some hosts also have this ability natively.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Richard : I do not have a foot pedal. My "controller" is a Kawai K5000 , so I'll have to get the manual out and see what can be done from the keyboard side. But then I'll have to keep changining it to use other programs (whose MIDI control are set up the usual way). I was asking about doing it through JABB itself...maybe in an update someday.

Markleford: I just got a heads up about this site earlier tonight. I'll go there tomorrow and root around. My host is SONAR, and I can probably do it there also, but was wondering first about doind so through JABB. Since it's the only program I hvae thats set u this way.

Thanks.

Craig,

SONAR can definitely use the MFX plugins.

Also, instead of reassigning CCs to handle the legato function, you can use Markleford's AutoLegato plugin; just play the notes with a slight overlap and it'll automatically send the "pedal down" message. Separate the notes, and it'll send "pedal up". (All the horns in JABB are monophonic, so you'll only hear one note while you've got two keys down.)

As for doing it in other programs, if they can't use MFX plugins, if they don't have a means of reassigning data on the fly, you'll probably have to go in and draw the controller data afterwards.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Go Back to forum