• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Trying out Sample Libs in-store

Share/Bookmark

Trying out Sample Libs in-store

I was wondering where I could try out the various sample libraries here in the UK before I buy (I live near London). I realise there are demos and various video tutorials online but I really want to try a few out. My local music store has Gold and Silver installed but don't have a clue how to use them (a MAJOR compaint with a lot of music stores - staff who don't have a clue about the software they are selling). Someone mentioned Turnkey (in London?) having some sample libraries in-store for tryout - is that true?

Re: Trying out Sample Libs in-store

You can try a lot out in Turnkey (www.turnkey.co.uk). It's at 114-116 Charing Cross Road. There's also quite a large selection of sample libs that can be demoed at Sound Control (underneath Virgin on the corner of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road).

Cheers,

Nick

-----------------------
    www.messhead.com

Thanks Nick - I'll get up there and check them out. Just been to your site - fantastic design! As a matter of interest how much do you use sample libraries in your finished work (which specific pieces on your site) and which libs do you use? Some great music on there.

Not sure , but "creative music" in Milton Keynes boasts of being the biggest music instrument store in UK, so they might have it. No website yet though
    Give them a call.

Creative Music
    Xscape, 602 Marlborough Gate
    Milton Keynes
    Buckinghamshire
    MK9 3XS
    Tel. 01908 240840

Quote Originally Posted by phil86
    Thanks Nick - I'll get up there and check them out. Just been to your site - fantastic design! As a matter of interest how much do you use sample libraries in your finished work (which specific pieces on your site) and which libs do you use? Some great music on there.
    Thankyou for your kind words Phil. My girlfriend designed the site actually. She asked for payment to be in shoes, handbags and extended foreplay ("Please! Just a couple of minutes longer!!"). I'm finding the last one quite difficult to achieve though...

Samples are an integral part of my working process. In a typical piece I have more instances of the EXS24 opened up than any other plug-in. With regards to which libraries I use, it's hard to know where to start really (I have five 200 Gig Hard Disks bursting to the seams with samples). I suppose the bulk of my orchestral stuff is done with VSL First Edition, Chamber Strings, Solo Strings and Mallets (oooh, how I LOVE the celeste!).

I have most of the big piano libraries but tend to mainly use the Vintaudio Uprights for their colour and character. The PMI Bosendorfer is also a favourite as it always sits well within an orchestral setting.

If guitars are required then I actually try and play them myself. I'm completely rubbish though and in times of need use the Real Guitar which is bloody great IMO.

The three Spectrasonics plug-ins are a core part of my creative process. Atmosphere is especially good for Drama. The 'Crows' preset rests wonderfully underneath just about anything (and I probably completely overuse it!).

I've got drum samples coming out of my ears but predominantly use Stylus RMX, BFD and Storm Drum.

This forum has been an invaluable source of reference for me over the past couple of years. Although I don't often post, NS is my first port of call when I venture into the studio in the morning. I bloody love it!

Cheers,

Nick

-----------------------
    www.messhead.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Harvey
    She asked for payment to be in shoes, handbags and extended foreplay ("Please! Just a couple of minutes longer!!"). Cheers,
    Nick
    -----------------------
    www.messhead.com

Hahaha! I can relate to that.

Thanks for the info Nick - so for a lot of the work you do for the big UK TV channels you use samples in the finished pieces and not hire in strings or other musicians? - just trying to work out how composing for TV / film works here in the UK. Lots of great advice given on the forum but is mainly for the US TV / film markets.

I very rarely hire in musicians. For most TV work that I've done here in the UK there really is no need to with the technology that exists nowadays.

Nick

-----------------------
    www.messhead.com

Thankyou for your kind words Phil. My girlfriend designed the site actually. She asked for payment to be in shoes, handbags and extended foreplay ("Please! Just a couple of minutes longer!!").
    LOOOOL - nice site indeed. Do you think she will do my website for the same price?

Hmmm. I've just spoken to her and she said that her shoe and handbag collection is actually complete at the moment, but as I'm still not fulfilling her pre-penetration needs she is willing to look further afield for a good servicing.

I think I'm being dumped.

Marcussen, it's all your fault. She said she liked your cute smile...and your right ear. She's also impressed that you're a senior member and wonders what that REALLY means.

Oh well. Back to playing on my organ...

Nick

-----------------------
    www.messhead.com

Go Back to forum