• Register
  • Help

Topic: EWQLSO Gold, Sonar, and CC#11

Share/Bookmark

Question EWQLSO Gold, Sonar, and CC#11

I've been reading the old posts about CC#7 and CC#11 trying to figure out how to make my music sound more expressive (as opposed to simply sounding like static notes of different velocities being manipulated with a volume knob). I use Gold as a DXi Synth in Sonar 4 (oh, and I have a PC, not Mac), and last night I was playing around and finally found out how to create an envelope affecting CC#11 (supposedly). However, although I thought it sounded like it was making a difference on the flute when I had it solo, it didn't seem to have much effect on the french horn, and when I played the whole ensemble (piano, bass, flute, french horn), it really didn't sound any different from my original try before I added the CC#11 envelope. There are so many little knobs and sliders everywhere that have no explanation and that I saw nothing of in my Intro to Tech class that taught me Finale and Performer, thus meaning that without a manual or someone to explain them to me, I'm really not sure what they're *supposed* to do, and it's not always obvious from playing around what it is they *are* doing...Can anyone tell me how to make my music sound like music?

Re: EWQLSO Gold, Sonar, and CC#11

Use CC7 to set your max volume level for the whole track. Then use CC11 for changing the expression of the track. You can then use CC7 to tweak the volume for the whole track. For example, if a clarinet part is too quiet throughout the piece, then bring up CC7. You want to use CC7 as a set and forget type thing pretty much.

I'd recommend using the VST version of Gold in Sonar as the DXi version has a nasty tempo change bug. This bug will screw up note lengths when you add tempo changes to your piece.

Jim

The tempo bug...is that why sometimes if I slow down too much too fast, notes stick?

I may not have installed the VST plugin for some reason or another--seems like I got some message on one of my files about the VST not cooperating (I didn't even know I used VST on my old computer...)--but even if I did or if I try adding that to the install, in what ways does it function differently from the DXi synth? I begin to feel more and more like I don't know anything about MIDI sequencing because of all the different things that can be done that I can't even imagine (I'd rather just work with live instrumentalists!)...

The tempo bug will totally screw up note lengths making it sound like stuck notes.

You can copy the EWQLSOGoldVST.dll file from your installation disk directly into you VST folder without having to reinstall the library. The run the VST adapter to rescan the VST plugin folder.

Power Profile User

This is not a reply to the above question about CC#11, and I apologize for intrupting. But since I don't know how to start a new subject, I'm taking advange of this subject and hopefully will get an answer to my problem.
    I updated my EWQLSO Gold using the 2.5 update. Now I can't get the standalone to work nor am I able to use the EWQLSO in Finale. I could do all of this before I updated. I think it's because of the way I inserted the update but Im not sure. I insterted it in the Gold Editon directory, now I think I should have inserted it in the Gold library folder. Before I update I copied the dll to the Finale folder along with GPO and Bosendorfer (they are not affected). Now the standalone doesn't read any instuments although Kompakt look OK. the same situaltion is with Finale. I can bring Komapkt up but all the instruments read "remove". I think I will have to uninstall Gold and start over. I may even forget about the update. I would be most grateful if someone out there has an opinion on this.
    B.D.

Go Back to forum