• Register
  • Help

Topic: virtual memory - what's the verdict?

Share/Bookmark

virtual memory - what's the verdict?

hello,

I've been looking into optimizing my win xp for audio and I've been hearing mixed opinions on amount of virtual memory to set. Some say to not set any virtual memory at all and some suggest 1.5 - 2.0 X the amount of actual memory you have. so.. which is it?

also, do you have to set the same virtual memory amount to all your drives or only your window operating system drive?

I have 2 gig of ram on my machine and I am confused as to what setting for virtual memory should be.

thanks
    Len

Re: virtual memory - what's the verdict?

In my DAW (win xp home with 2.5GB RAM) there is no difference between:
    1) No virtual memory enabled
    2) Virtual memory of 2GB enabled.

It works the same. I think that You should experiment to find the best for Ya.
    Windows is like living creature - there are no 2 windows systmes behaving equally on this planet..

luk,

do I have to set virtual memory to all my HDs or only my main HD running windows?

Quote Originally Posted by lenmar
    luk,

do I have to set virtual memory to all my HDs or only my main HD running windows?
    As far as I know:
    1) the swap file should have fixed start and end size for example 1.5GB not 0 - 1.5GB

2) Should be placed on a separate partition (for example 2GB partition) and this partition should be used only for SWAP

3) Swap should be placed on 1 partition of one of your drives.... not to all HDDs or something.

Go Back to forum