• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stupid MIDI question...

Share/Bookmark

Stupid MIDI question...

Real quick question, I used to know the answer and I forgot it.

How do I assign cc131 to a slider on my controller? It's only letting me choose up to 127.

Thanks,
    chris.

Re: Stupid MIDI question...

cc131? There are only 127 controller numbers, AFAIK...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Without knowing a bit more info abotu your controller, I can only suggest looking for an "aftertouch" or "channel pressure" option.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

cc#131 is aftertouch/channel pressure. I can set faders or knobs on my keyboards to send data on this channel.

If JABB is like GPO then it is used to control vibrato.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Have a look at mine.....

http://www.varady.sk/uc33_assignable_table.htm

and this extract form the GPO manual:

www.stradjazz.com/GPO_CC131.bmp
    Richard N.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I assign "aftertouch" to a slider on my controller, but when I record that slider into SONAR nothing happens--no change in sound, nothing in the event list.

It works fine with any CC I throw at it, but no luck with aftertouch.

I can DRAW in aftertouch, but I can't get it to respond to my keyboard...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    chris.

Chris,

By default, Sonar doesn't record aftertouch. I'm not at my DAW at the moment, but there is a checkbox in Options somewhere to tell Sonar to record this data.
    Richard N.

You are right, Richard.
    Sonar, under Option->Global...->MIDI. The Key Aftertouch needs to be checked.

Hope this helps,
    LongStudio

Quote Originally Posted by awpmusic
    SORRY! midi controllers ONLY operate in the range 0 - 127

have alook at this:
    http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/cntrlnumb.html
    M-Audio keyboards, in particular, do not have aftertouch. As a substitute they allow the user to assign the non-standard cc131 to that function. When an assignable slider or knob is set to cc131 the keyboard sends aftertouch data out MIDI. I don't know if this is unique to M-Audio products.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    cc#131 is aftertouch/channel pressure. I can set faders or knobs on my keyboards to send data on this channel.

If JABB is like GPO then it is used to control vibrato.
    Correct. aftertouch controls the intensity of vibrato. cc17 controls the speed of vibrato.

Tom

Go Back to forum