• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Waves Support, the $132 question!!

Share/Bookmark

Waves Support, the $132 question!!

I emailed Waves to ask if there are any compatibility issues with their version 4 plugins and dual core processors because mine won't install on my new computer. This is all they could say (original question at the bottom):

-------Answer from Waves at 11/22/2005 4:50:01 AM

Hi Brian,

Waves Tech Support is reserved for customers whose Waves Update Plan (WUP) is current.
    The WUP for your bundle has expired on April 14 2004.
    You can resume services by extending your Waves Update Plan (WUP).

To extend the WUP for your bundle, access your online account and click Get WUP. (132$ USD).

By staying under valid WUP you are entitled for free technical support, free version updates
    and bonus plugins.

Please reply this mail once your WUP is extended.

Regards,
    Idan

-------Question/Reply from ******@hotmail.com at 11/21/2005 9:38:35 PM
    Hello Idan,

I''m trying to use V4.0 with Windows XP pro (32 bit). Last night I tried V4.05 but it still won''t install on my computer. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Brian

-------Answer from Waves at 11/21/2005 5:31:47 AM

Dear Brian,
    Thank you for your email; I am Idan with Waves Customer Support Team.

Waves doesn't support Windows XP 64bit. If this is what you have - it will not work.
    Other than that, V5 works on dual processors.

Please access your account and click Get WUP, complete the purchase.
    Click the Update link to the right of your product.

-------Question/Reply from ******@hotmail.com at 11/20/2005 11:56:31 PM
    I''m wondering if there are any compatability issues with Version 4 native plugins and AMD Athlon 64 X2 processors. I own REQ, RCL, Maxxbass, Desser and Ren. reverb but they won''t even install on my new computer. The X2 processor is the main difference as well as the SATA drives. Thanks for any help. Regards, Brian

If anybody knows the answer to my original question, please save me $132 US by posting the answer.

Re: Waves Support, the $132 question!!

I wonder what makes their plugins worth all this hassle really, there are other viable alternatives out there? And there's literally hundreds of VST effects developers out there who don't charge a single dime for support aside from the original cost of the plugin.

Its like VSL charging $200 a year to access their forum or something. Pretty shoddy, I should think.

I don't actually see the point in this kind of support. Most plugin problems are caused by the plugins being incompatible in some way with a piece of software you're using, and IMHO forums like these are more useful in these cases because folks on here have a wider range of soft/hard-ware mixes than official "support".

Having said that, I can't help with V4

Diamond V5 works great on my dual core - occasional crashes at the end of a mixdown in Nuendo (2) "Not all Waves <pluginname> processes unloaded" or something like that, but that's mainly when I use Nuendo's native DirectX engine, not WaveShell.

I notice the email response you got deals with V5, but doesn't mention V4 at all - do Waves stop supporting a version totally when it is superceeded? Even if they release no updates, I would expect support to at least *know* about their previous version...

I guess they expect you to upgrade

M

Quote Originally Posted by FirmamentFX
    I notice the email response you got deals with V5, but doesn't mention V4 at all - do Waves stop supporting a version totally when it is superceeded? Even if they release no updates, I would expect support to at least *know* about their previous version...

I guess they expect you to upgrade

M
    Exactly, my original question about V4 was totally dodged. If you haven't paid for the WUP, you can't even get an answer about compatibility issues.

Waves will certainly never see another dime from me and I encourage others to save themselves the hassle and avoid this arrogant company.

Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    Waves will certainly never see another dime from me and I encourage others to save themselves the hassle and avoid this arrogant company.
    Yeah but, if you pay the $132 you are "entitled for free technical support, free version updates and bonus plugins.".

Confused? Me too! Tain't nuthin' "free" about $132.

Anyway... I don't have your answer, but I can suggest going over to the Cakewalk SONAR board (http://forum.cakewalk.com/tt.asp?forumid=5) where anyone can join and people are generally very helpful. Many users there use Waves, and many run on Athlon. Not sure how many use X2. I you post a question, make it short and sweet, and make sure the title of the post starts with "OT:" and the title itself is descriptive (something like "OT: Waves v4.05 on Athlon 64 X2?"). It is a SONAR user forum after all, and members get uptight with too many OT threads... but I'd be surprised if someone there can't help...

I don't understand all the fuss.

Whether or not Version 4 works with your new computer, you'd need to spend the $132 anyway to re-authorize your plugs---then you get Version 5 in the process.

Thanks for the heads up -- I was looking into waves plug-ins, but this kind of customer care should not be supported, IMO. Hope all this is somehow some kind of misunderstanding..

Quote Originally Posted by XanaX
    you'd need to spend the $132 anyway to re-authorize your plugs
    If that's true then that's flat out wrong. That just can't be. Imagine, all that software you have installed on your computer... and since you haven't paid a yearly fee for each product you can't install it on a new machine! You don't see what "the fuss" is with that? If the WUP requirement does indeed extend to re-authorization then that just makes it all the more ridiculous.

BTW, according to Waves, WUP is for "version updates to your software and a higher level of technical support." I guess not dodging the technical questions would be the "higher level" part.

WAVES is known to be one of the greediest companies around.
    When I purchased my PLATINUM bundle 5 or 6 years ago it gave a guaranty that we would get all future WAVES plug-ins for free. Only one year later they introduced other bundles and claimed these were not inlcuded in the platinum offer they made to make me order. Each time we had to pay for updates and finally when I dumped the Mac that I was running the Waves plug-ins on and switched to PC- Guess what? Using the same license on PC would cost me $ 1.800 as side-grade.Needles to say we are now using other vendor's software.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

The guys at KVR Audio all turn their noses up at Waves products ever since companies like Voxengo and Izotope started making and selling much cheaper products at the same quality as the Waves products (or at least according to the happy and loyal customers who said they'll never pay for another overpriced Waves products ever again).

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast