• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Prominy's LPC library - And the verdict is...?

Share/Bookmark

Cool Prominy's LPC library - And the verdict is...?

Greetings.

I've been up for too many days, so if this comes off as incoherent in any way, I shall gladly try to clarify after some slumber.

I never thought I'd ever seriously consider a guitar sample library.

I am seriously considering Prominy's LPC library. It sounds ridiculously good.

I realize I just missed a group buy. Doh. Nothing I can do now, and anyway... I only just started looking at it a few days ago.

But... for those who now possess the library (and there are quite a few of you, judging by the group buy thread) I am curious --

Is LPC's lib really truly the unadulterated heavyweight champ of not-real guitar sounds out there (beating whatever VSTi, loops CD's, and other libs might dare to compete)?

Because, at that size, it ought to have enough sounds to render pretty much anything your brain can dream up, especially for lead work. Though I am also interested in opinions on its rhythmic capabilities.

I know having the biggest price tag doesn't necessarily make it the best. Kirk Hunter, for instance, and his new super cheap, super big orchestral libraries. But just the LPC specs alone (size, breadth of articulations) really seem like you're not gonna easily defeat this library.

Oh, and I need clean sounds. So if it's a distortion-only competitor, it doesn't count for the purposes of my inquiry!

I think that is all...

I think I already know the answer, too. But, you know, as they say... if it seems too good to be true...

Sleep! Sleeeeeeeeep!
    -Tom

Re: Prominy's LPC library - And the verdict is...?

I purchased it when the group buy was on and I have no regrets. I've used it some but haven't really dug into it yet (pc problems ) What I have dug into I'm really impressed with. I'm running the clean library thru my POD XT. I'm also looking at buying Lyrical Distortion. That will give me more sonic possibilities plus you can never have to many sample libraries. Right You can't go wrong with LPC Clean IMHO.

I have the clean LPC. I'm working on a piece using ampli tube : I've to say that it's awesome. riff, solo are working perfectly...I think that have never been so near than a guitarist with my keyboard !

I sent the LPC link to a friend of mine who's a session guitarist out in LA. He had a pretty negative reaction to the demos. Said the guitars sounded awful and wanted to know how they were recorded. I don't have a discerning ear for guitars so was as a bit taken aback by his response. I do think they sound a bit thin, and that metal distortion thing is really not my scene, but I was very impressed by the articulations, especially the legato lead phrases.

Anyway, is anyone using the library with Kontakt, or just giga? I heard the legato stuf can't be done with kontakt.

Quote Originally Posted by shnurgle
    I sent the LPC link to a friend of mine who's a session guitarist out in LA. He had a pretty negative reaction to the demos. Said the guitars sounded awful and wanted to know how they were recorded. I don't have a discerning ear for guitars so was as a bit taken aback by his response. I do think they sound a bit thin, and that metal distortion thing is really not my scene, but I was very impressed by the articulations, especially the legato lead phrases.

Anyway, is anyone using the library with Kontakt, or just giga? I heard the legato stuf can't be done with kontakt.
    My understanding is LPC will enable real time legato in Kontakt 2. I do not think they have finalized the update yet (or the update to the manual/controller chart).

Did your friend know the mp3's were from a sample library? [EDIT: Nevermind, rereading it, it is clear he knew they were mp3's created from the LPC sample library. I wonder how he would have reacted, had you said they were performed by a guitarist friend of yours].

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

We have finished Realtime Legato slide for Kontakt2, and are also working on additional new articulations. We'll release them all together in a couple of days.

Akihito

I sent the LPC link to a friend of mine who's a session guitarist out in LA. He had a pretty negative reaction to the demos.
    That's a curious reaction, given that the clean guitar is recorded through a DI and you can run it through whatever you want! It's possible that he's just reacting to the MP3s.

Also, I don't know anyone involved so I'm not going to make any connection between session guitarist and sampled guitar library, but it is at least worth asking whether the two are unrelated.

well, I play guitar too, and I really like the sound, very natural.

I'm not L.A. based tho, so dunno if it counts...
    Last edited by Lux; 11-22-2005 at 06:06 PM.

I almost went for the clean during the group buy, and sort of regret not diving in, but I didn't have the $$$ to buy both LPC and Real Guitar, (and the RG demo on my hard drive kept screaming at me to buy.)

And I continue to wonder about virtual e-guitars for keyboard players, and offer this question:

Wouldn't the x-factor lie in the amp sim or other effects you run it through? It occurs to me that the Kontakt 2 Strat or Les Paul might be all I need, if I can properly apply the sorts of tools found in Sonitus, Voxengo, Amplitude or whatever. In real life, no electric guitar sounds like much until it's plugged in, and in the virtual world the quality of the fretboard etc., doesn't come into play.

But this is just a question, not an opinion. Maybe I'm missing the boat.

I think the x-factor is your understanding of what a guitar is supposed to be doing, actually. Sorry if that's baby talk, but it's true.

Go Back to forum