• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is there any point to having more than 2Gb of RAM

Share/Bookmark

Is there any point to having more than 2Gb of RAM

On my current system I have 3Gb of RAM. I am about to build a new system and will have to buy new RAM. I was wondering if there is any point in getting anymore than 2Gb?

Paul

Re: Is there any point to having more than 2Gb of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by pmwaring
    On my current system I have 3Gb of RAM. I am about to build a new system and will have to buy new RAM. I was wondering if there is any point in getting anymore than 2Gb?

Paul
    If you are using Windows XP (or 2000) you can use 2gb for applications and 2gb for kernal. If your applications are set to large address aware and you use the /3gb switch in the command line you can get potentially up to /3gb. However, your apps must be set to large address aware (it's not really obvious which ones are). I managed to use over 2gb of ram with Cubase SX3 and EWQLSO Gold XP. I think the new Kompakt, Kontakt, Cubase, Sonar, Stylus RMX are set to large address aware (but double check).

/3gb switch info here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...AE/PAEmem.mspx

Cheers,

Christiaan

Re: Is there any point to having more than 2Gb of RAM

sorry...no idea, that's a question i would never ask myself since i couldn't afford more than 768mb
    but just guessing...i would say it depends on how you use the computer...there are no programs that (alone) demand that much RAM (talking about regular programs...not some NASA special application )...but it really helps if you are using lots of programs at the same time and you dont want the computer to be slow or to hang...
    however, someone told me that Win XP has problems handling more than 1 or 2 GB of RAM...but, i dont know about other OS

Go Back to forum