• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Song downloads

Share/Bookmark

Song downloads

Hey, guys.

I'm still woefully behind on the project to put together compilation CDs from the Composer Channel to try & make you a couple of bucks on your music, and issues are keeping that on the back burner for the moment.

However, I had someone contact me this weekend asking how they could order one of the songs from the station (not the first time, either). So I thought, why not sell the songs for you individually ala Apple's 99 cents per downloaded song formula?

Our online store is already set up to sell file downloads, so mp3s are easy. The downside is that files can be shared on the Internet for free. The upside is that it's drop dead easy to make your songs available for sale, and people seem to like being able to buy individual songs instead of entire albums. I don't know how many sales I'd be able to make for you, but I figure whatever we can bring in for you is bonus.

So, what do you think? Is it worth pursuing?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: Song downloads

I think that the very fact we submit demos to this forum endangers us to stealing anyway. As composers who publish in an electronic medium this way, we ALL run the risk of someone doing something with our music we don't intend.
    I say, if someone is willing to pay for something we have pretty much put out there for free, all the better!! imo.

I understasnd the Composer Channel is different in that regard. it STREAMS music, whereas we have submitted demos here already in mp3 format. But people can still STEAL streams too. (by capturing them)

Might as well sell what we already have given away for free! (if someone wants our music)

Or we can have Christopher just refer the interestred parties to the creators of the music and let them haggle it out. but I like Christopher's idea.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

I have all my music downloadable for free on my website, so I don't think it would work out for me . . . unless it was somehow considered donation money However, I'm sure it's not my music that anyone is requesting anyway

Still I like the idea. As Jerry said, someone could already steal them now if they really wanted to. I don't think the risk is very high though.

Thanks for your continued support!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Christopher, I think this is a great idea, overall.

My primary concern, though, would be financial: Would enough sales volume be there to make it worthwhile for you?

Just keeping the books on something like this can potetentially chew up quite a lot of time and effort.

I'm sure every single person in this forum would be 110% behind you on this; but I don't think any of us would ever want you to take it on were it to be more of a burden for you than a benefit!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Just keeping the books on something like this can potetentially chew up quite a lot of time and effort.
    If the front end is written properly, an online store does its own recordkeeping.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by etLux

My primary concern, though, would be financial: Would enough sales volume be there to make it worthwhile for you?

Just keeping the books on something like this can potetentially chew up quite a lot of time and effort..
    Well, if it reaches the point where I'm chewing up a lot of time because we're selling tons of songs, those are nice problems to have. As Jeff pointed out, the store system does a lot of the record keeping, so all that's left is putting stamps on envelopes.

Having done my time sleeping on floors and eating macaroni and cheese, I think sitting down once a month to write out a bunch of checks to musicians would be a rather gratifying experience.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    As composers who publish in an electronic medium this way, we ALL run the risk of someone doing something with our music we don't intend.

I say, if someone is willing to pay for something we have pretty much put out there for free, all the better!!
    Yeah, you can get obsessive and go crazy trying to protect yourself to extremes (hey Sony, how's that working out so far?), or you can just figure in a certain percentage of such things as "acceptable losses" and go on about your business. I've always been of the mind that honest people are going to be honest regardless of what new opportunities for misbehaving appear, and these are the folks who have always supported the artistic community.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Hey, guys.

So, what do you think? Is it worth pursuing?

In general, it sounds like a great idea. In the specifics? I haven't thought much about it, but I don't see any serious problems.

Richard

I'm not a legal expert, and I may be wrong, but I could think of a legal problem.

Suppose, hypothetically, that some composer out there one day hears a work, sold through this service, and thinks: Hey, I wrote that theme. I'm suing!
    I'm afraid you run the risk of getting legally spanked, Christopher.

Apart from that, I think it sounds like a good idea, and it's very generous of you, Christopher, to offer your time this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    I'm not a legal expert, and I may be wrong, but I could think of a legal problem.

Suppose, hypothetically, that some composer out there one day hears a work, sold through this service, and thinks: Hey, I wrote that theme. I'm suing!
    I'm afraid you run the risk of getting legally spanked, Christopher.

Apart from that, I think it sounds like a good idea, and it's very generous of you, Christopher, to offer your time this way.

I think that the key with that one is to have each composer "sign" a release form freeing Christopher to sell the music (naming SPECIFIC titles) and free him from all legal liability from such actions as you described, as his role in hosting the site that sells the music. They should also "sign" a statement that they are the sole authors of the the titles they are releasing (or if there are more than one composer, siging a statement they have the permission of the other party. Look on your standard copyright form for that template. That would release Christopher of any liability.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum