• Register
  • Help

Topic: Thoughts on M-Audio Radium 49?

Share/Bookmark

Thoughts on M-Audio Radium 49?

In readiness for JABB and the additional Controllers that are involved, I'm looking for an additional (cheap ) midi controller with fully assignable faders. I already have an 88-key fullsize keyboard but that only has pitchbend and mod wheels.

I've looked at three M-Audio products:

Finger Trigger, UC33e - both controllers without a keyboard
    and have just stumble across a cheaper option that has a keyboard with 8 assignable knobs and sliders - the Radium 49.

Has anyone got any good/bad experience with this keyboard? Or any other advice for getting cheap realtime access to those CC's ??

Cheers,
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: Thoughts on M-Audio Radium 49?

Hey Richard,

I use the Radium 49. The assignable knobs are great - it's a bit of a pain to set up in Cubase, but I think that has more to do with the program, not the kb. I am having a bit of trouble with keys sticking a little, after almost 2 years of use, but nothing that serious. Overall, I am very happy with all of my M-audio purchases, and would say this is a good bet for an inexpensive board.

Cheers!

Adrian

Richard,

I've got the Radium 61. Lots of assignable sliders and knobs. But the keys have a "mushy" feel to them. I don't have great keyboard chops, so it's not a big deal to me. It was definately worth the money.

JT

Thanks, Adrian and Jeff - sounds like it's going to be the Radium then.

Cheers,
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

I have the Radium (5 octaves) model and it's fine for me too but my keyboardist friend who got one, sold it not too long after purchasing it because the response to velocity is not gradual. So if this is something important to you then you might want to try it before you buy it.

NDEE

I have the Radium 61 also. The USB port went bad on the first unit and it was just out of warranty but the people at the music store did a switch-aroo for me and this one is still working fine. I remember reading some threads about problems with many of the Radiums when they first came out but I haven't read about any problems lately.

Once again, Gents, thanks for yoru input.

As it happens, I had a change of mind after doing a bit of research and went for the Evolution MK-461C, which has a few more programmable buttons - you can actually program upto 10 buttons to send specific note on midi signals, perfect for keyswitching! And you use the keypad to program the keyboard instead of having to use the music keys.
    Richard N.

Go Back to forum