• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Great Side Benefit...

Share/Bookmark

Great Side Benefit...

Hi, all!

Though I'm not posting as much as in the past, I still enjoy lurking and have not lost my GPO connection.

Just thought I'd share a neat side benefit of hanging around here...

I got to know Donnie (Brasspig) Sorah from the forum and his visit to Indianapolis. My brass quintet will be playing his Dance Movements next season. (Though Donnie, in a momentary lapse, actually wrote a french horn part, I will play it on the euphonium. The part is simply too cool for a french horn.)

Additionally, the Indianapolis Brass Choir will be obtaining Paul Read's Fanfare and Processional and performing them next season (even though they contain no euphonium parts).

There may also be more in the offing as I contact more of the prodigious talent around here (chances of being contacted are greatly enhanced by presence of a prominent euphonium part backed up by some other instruments).

I met these fine composers here on the forum and look forward to performing their works. What would the chances have been of my meeting them if it were not for GPO and the forum??

So GPO helps live music, too!!

Best to all...
    Jim W.
    (TAFKAS)
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: Great Side Benefit...

Well, tell us the instrumentation of your group and we can write even more to order! (including faked euphonium parts)

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

I've always liked the euphonium but haven't had any opportunity to write for it so far. Maybe I'll keep you in mind for the near future.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    I've always liked the euphonium but haven't had any opportunity to write for it so far. Maybe I'll keep you in mind for the near future.
    You are indeed a man of culture.
    BTW-Brian Kiser played in my quintet & Daniel Kelly and Alex L.do now. Terri E. plays in brass choir. You may know all them from TH Symphony.
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    Well, tell us the instrumentation of your group and we can write even more to order! (including faked euphonium parts)

- m
    HERE WE GO:

QUINTET:
    2 trumpets (one may double picc or Eb; one may double flugel)
    EUPHONIUM (NO horn--I can read and play all but the toughest horn parts)
    trombone
    tuba
    drums/mallets (in which case it's not a quintet any more.)

BRASS CHOIR:
    picc or Eb trumpet
    Bb/C trumpets, (3/4 parts, 2 on a part)
    Flugel
    French Horns (3/4 parts; 1/2 on a part)
    Trombones (3/4 parts, 1/2 on a part)
    Euphoniums (1/2, unison and/or divisi)
    Tubas (2-4)

Group gets too loud if there is too much doubling of parts or if texture is too thick & busy.

Thanx for asking...Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Preferred piece length?

Short attention-span audience/players?

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Preferred piece length?
    5-15 mins

Short attention-span audience/players?
    - m

Audience-very much so. Gunther Schuller Symphony for Brass Didn't go over too well a few years ago, though we played the stuffing out of it. Transcription of "Firebird" did. Richard Peaslee Christmas Carol settings did not. Pictures at an Exhibition went over great. Audiences prefer classical, pops, swing, baroque, hymn settings, etc. Players will cut 'bout anything within reason
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Professor Williams, Good to have you visit! May you and yours have a nice Thanksgiving.
    Styxx

OOOHHH!

(Getting ideas as I write this!!)

Ever since studying theory with Andy Hoefle, who played his euphonium all the time in class for us to demonstrate stuff, I have wanted to write something for that instrument. I also played piano for the jazz combo group we had (he led it), and played double bass in the orchestra (badly, but I filled a big need). He led ALL the instrumental ensembles in the college, and I think I played in all but one of them.

You'll most likely read through what I send and just toss, but hey, at least you will have read through it, which is more than most of us get!

Thanks for your VERY generous offer, Jim.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    OOOHHH!

(Getting ideas as I write this!!)

Ever since studying theory with Andy Hoefle, who played his euphonium all the time in class for us to demonstrate stuff, I have wanted to write something for that instrument. I also played piano for the jazz combo group we had (he led it), and played double bass in the orchestra (badly, but I filled a big need). He led ALL the instrumental ensembles in the college, and I think I played in all but one of them.

You'll most likely read through what I send and just toss, but hey, at least you will have read through it, which is more than most of us get!

Thanks for your VERY generous offer, Jim.

Jerry
    Jerry,

Did we talk about Andy when you were in Indy? (Could that be a novelty song?) We did a bunch of things together when he was at Indiana U.
    Do you have contact with Andy any more? I'd guess he remembers me--if not by name then by my upper register . Maybe I will run into him at Midwest.
    If you have contact with him,please tell him I said HI!!

Howzat kiddo of yours???

Best wishes..Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Go Back to forum