• Register
  • Help

Topic: Josephs Tutorial on Overture SE

Share/Bookmark

Josephs Tutorial on Overture SE

Joseph, would you please tell me what the difference is between choosing the velocity controller and the modulation controller for the Pizz's on page 65 of your tutorial? Why velocity rather then modulation in the edit dynamics window? How do they differ, and how are they used. I'm very new to this stuff, and I find this quite confusing at times. Are these changes being sent to GPO and controlling the way it's playing back? So many questions...
    Thanks for taking the time to write the tutorial!
    Bill

Re: Josephs Tutorial on Overture SE

bnlsrv,
    I think I can answer that for you
    Because the pizz is a plucked staccatto sound, like other percussion instruments in GPO, it is controlled more conveniently by the velocity only.... or how hard the notes are struck playing a keyboard, since that is the most convenient way to program midi,.... well at least for me

The mod wheel is used for instruments that change volume during the note being played.

Hope that makes sense

dpdan

Mr. dp got it.

Yes, for all percussive, short bowed or plucked strings, keyed instruments in GPO, velocity is used to control dynamic level or volume.

So, when using pizzicato strings you would need to use velocity to control note volume instead of modulation.

Hi Joseph!
    How are you doing?
    You sound busy that's a good thing.

Hope you don't mind me stickin my nose in

Hope you are doing well too,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Mr. dp got it.

Yes, for all percussive, short bowed or plucked strings, keyed instruments in GPO, velocity is used to control dynamic level or volume.

So, when using pizzicato strings you would need to use velocity to control note volume instead of modulation.
    Thanks Joseph and Dp for clearing that up. But, I have one more question - why the initial pianissimo velocity setting, measure 1, on pg 51? Or better yet, why doesn't the modulation pianissmo on measure 1 take care of what you want to hear. What is being accomplished with both of them? I hate to admit it, but my ears may not be as refined or skilled as all of yours and I just may be missing these fine points aurallly.

Go Back to forum