Do British Cops Need Guns?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...646782,00.html

For yours and our UK bruther and sister discussion
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

Re: Do British Cops Need Guns?

The problem is that it just escalates the whole situation, so I'd have to be opposed to the idea of more guns. Tough question, though, because you don't want to send defenseless police out to face armed criminals.

First of all - the police do have guns. There's just not quite so apparent as in other places round the world.

Secondly -they have been known to make a balls up when they start shootin'. On more than one occassion.

Regarding the tragic loss of the policewoman in Bradford - it should be remembered that the police force have lost about 32 officers in the UK in approximately 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    The problem is that it just escalates the whole situation, so I'd have to be opposed to the idea of more guns.
    It's funny, because that's exactly what the British police themselves have said up till now. Gun possession and gun crime have of course been MUCH lower here than in the USA, and the official police policy has always been that more cops carrying guns would simply lead to more criminals carrying guns, and so on and so forth until it gets much more out of hand.

I don't know to what extent the recent comments are the result of a considered re-appraisal on the part of the force as a whole, or whether they were just a few individuals speaking in haste, affected by a particular incident. Apparently gun crime HAS increased substantially over the last few years, largely as a result of the crack trade. It may be they've given up on trying to contain it and feel that if they don't get armed soon, the criminals will have them for breakfast.

Doesn't make me feel good, I must say. One thing I love about this country is that politicians of all sides have for so long resisted any trend towards American-style widespread gun ownership. I wouldn't want to be an unarmed rookie policeman facing down some desperate crack-head with a shotgun though, and you can't blame them for wanting to level the playing field.

I think in principle we have a good system - SO19 is the armed response unit, and regular "bobbies on the beat" are not armed.

The problem is one of timing. SO19 has to be authorised, then deployed, then made aware of the situation etc etc. It takes too long.

Maybe the armed response units should be decentralised....

Just my £0.02

M

According to this or another article, only 10% of UK Police are authorized to carry weapons. Weapon crimes are up considerably. Also, I question the accuracy of the 3 or so deaths mentioned here.

The story is heartbreaking and made me quite angry...
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

It is heartbreaking, but really the only question to look at is whether this is going to help stem the tide or escalate it. And I do know that some police are armed, Paul; I just have a deep intuitive resistance to the idea of replacing the friendly bobbies I remember with Robocops armed to the teeth - which is what police tend to look like here.

There's a movement in Los Angeles to have more "community-based policing," i.e. for the cops to know the people in their beats rather than . We've also had cops on bicycles for a while. The benefits to that seem obvious.

I should add that we have several heartbreaking stories every bit as bad as that one every day in this country. Why? I think Michael Moore's fearmongering theory explains a lot of it.

Let's just jump to the bigger questions. The UK achieved a very low murder rate, I think by the mid-19th century. How? Though the rate is still pretty low, it has increased considerably in the past 30 years or so. Why? I have heard different opinions on the second question. I've never heard anything on the first.

#3. When were British police disarmed, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blankenau
    Let's just jump to the bigger questions. The UK achieved a very low murder rate, I think by the mid-19th century. How? Though the rate is still pretty low, it has increased considerably in the past 30 years or so. Why? I have heard different opinions on the second question. I've never heard anything on the first.
    Hehe! Oh dear oh dear! I laughed ironically at that second one. That is a very loaded question and I'm not sure those statistics are indeed accurate actually.

In the UK - you have more chance of being struck by lightening than being murdered - that's a fact. Most murders are what are generally described as 'domestics' - which can include e.g. husbands and wives, children and adopted children. As, for instance, an individual traveller here from say the USA, you certainly have nothing to worry about- same would go for all of western Europe. You can't make statistical comparisons with the UK and the USA - you're wasting your time on that one.

Most murders are committed domestically and the people involved in those type of deals are generally 'blue baby' in terms of IQ stature. That has always happened everywhere - forever - and that won't change - forever.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast