• Register
  • Help

Topic: Key Groups

Share/Bookmark

Key Groups

Is it possible to get a key group that includes only one key, ie, such that one note repeated on a sampled piano while holding the sustain pedal will mute itself? I don't want a voice count of 100 while repeatedly banging on thee low A. The volume gets out of hand, and a real piano can only play one note on one key at one time. I've succeeded in the past with getting hihats to mute out, but those are different regions. I want this to work with one key.
    Is this doable? Or is one key, by definition, NOT able to be a key"group"?

Thanks in Advance,
    Belbin

Re: Key Groups

Interesting problem. AFAIK you are able to have keygroups of only one key.

Beyond that, it sounds like you're asking how to limit polyphony for any keys you press while holding down the sustain pedal. In GS3, it looks like you may also be able to use iMIDI to address the issue of too many voices used.

In the screenshot below I have tried to define something so that if the sustain pedal is held, and a note's velocity [trend] is descending, and the threshold of 64 is crossed, to start triggering noteOffs at C-1 instead of whatever key had been pressed.

Ideally this would actually work, rerouting all subsequent triggers for that note to a key that is out of the piano's range. (I'm not sure what a piano's range is, so I just chose the lowest one I could.)

Here's what I did.

1. Opened GS file in editor.
    2. Hit "Load" button to make it playable.
    3. Right clicked on instrument name; chose "iMIDI Rule Manager"
    4. Defined a rule that activates on holding the sustain pedal. I went with Controller Triggered > Sustain Pedal > etc:

If I then save this file in the Editor, the iMIDI rule is embedded into the instrument. Apparently you can also do the same thing from Giga itself, and save the rule separately as part of the performance file.

In addition to the iMIDI Controller Triggered type, there is also the Rule Builder type, which [from the GS3 editor manual] "...can take any incoming MIDI event at any range and have it trigger any other kind of MIDI event with its own range of settings. You can also monitor incoming MIDI events in real time at the bottom of the screen. The rule builder enables library developers to create custom MIDI responses and filters for their instruments."

So with the Rule Builder, you could potentially analyze your incoming MIDI traffic to determine which messages were triggering the unnecessary samples, and based on that define a custom filter to try and remove them. But that could be harder since it would be global to the entire instrument.

I have no idea if any of this will actually help you though...
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alewis

I have no idea if any of this will actually help you though...
    Who Cares! You've given me some very cool ideas to play with here!

Thanks!

Belbin

My pleasure!

Please keep us posted, it would be good to know how you end up resolving the issue.
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alewis
    My pleasure!

Please keep us posted, it would be good to know how you end up resolving the issue.
    Thanks for your interest. I got it. I went into the editor and used "self mask", in the region/split properties on the right side of the screen. Then I discovered that you can right click on a loaded instrument in GS Workstation and just select "Set Self Mask on All Regions". It's automatically ticked if you have already set it in the editor, but why bother? GS still shows mad polyphony when repeating a note with the pedal down, but the volume swell is averted.

My only problem with it is this: GSEdit's documentation decribes self mask as a feature that will allow louder samples to "drown out" quieter ones, but not the other way around. I guess, together with the voice count, that this means all these samples keep streaming, but they are muted in some way.....? Ideally I'd like to have ANY sample drown out another one on the same region.
    I've tried all the IMidi stuff except the rule builder. Will post if I find anything.
    For now I think this will do.

Belbin

Ahh - I'll have to try and remember that Self Mask feature. It sounds pretty useful.

Not sure about the meaning of drowning out softer samples. If it's hard to prove that it's actually working, maybe the feature has a high threshold and doesn't really kick in until you have whatever % of voices already in use.

Go Back to forum