• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problem with mixing etc.

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Problem with mixing etc.

Hello there.
    I wrote a piece and I`ve got a problem with making it sound right. It sounds bad and I don`t know what to do...
    I thinks it`s not a matter of Midi controllers, but reverbs etc. If you could post some suggestions and comments I would be very grateful.

p.s. I used a lot of instruments and when I listen to the song in Cubase I must mute few of them, so the computer won`t "choke"... I can`t find the balance between the sections of the orchestra...
    p.p.s. I`m quite new to all this stuff
    p.p.p.s. Why is it forbidden to post links ?

Re: Problem with mixing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by maciek_dobrowolski
    Hello there.
    I wrote a piece and I`ve got a problem with making it sound right. It sounds bad and I don`t know what to do...
    I thinks it`s not a matter of Midi controllers, but reverbs etc. If you could post some suggestions and comments I would be very grateful.

p.s. I used a lot of instruments and when I listen to the song in Cubase I must mute few of them, so the computer won`t "choke"... I can`t find the balance between the sections of the orchestra...
    p.p.s. I`m quite new to all this stuff
    p.p.p.s. Why is it forbidden to post links ?
    Hi,
    First off, I wasn't aware of any issues with posting links on this forum. I've seen lots of links so I'm not sure about that. You will have to post a link to hear the piece for anyone here can provide you with useful advice since there are no general rules for mixing.
    Another piece of advice I can provide is that if you're starting out it is better to start with smaller projects to better understand the dynamics of mixing, or you could split up your projects in different subprojects such as strings, percussion, brass, etc, work separately on each of them to make them sound right, mix them and then incoporate the different submixes in the big project for final mix. I use differnt busses for this purposes so it makes life much easier when appliying effects and mixing the different sections together.
    Another piece of advice is that you need to be able to maintain a frequency balanced mix as much as you can and avoid masking effects such as different instruments using a similar frequency spectrum creating conflicts and preventing clarity. Too much low mid frequencies will with no doubt cause your mix sound muddy.
    I use reverbs very sparingly becuase if overused they will impact the instrument definition and presence. I use different type of reverbs for different type of instruments and for different functions (more reverb in background instrument and short delays on lead instruments or different reverbs for percussive intruments).
    In summary mixing is somehow a skill you need to develop and requires exercise and learn from mistakes (I typically go back to my earlier mixes and found things that I know today I could have done better). Also very important is to listen to lots of relevant references (some CD sounds you shoot for) . Do A/B comparison with your own mixes and find the differences and the way to fix them next time.
    Also I strongly recommend David Gibson's book "The Art of MIxing". He has a graphical method to describe how mixes work, very intuitive to understand.

Regarding your computer performance, what are your computer specs? If you have a big project with lots of effects incl. reverbs, it'll require lots of CPU power. If your computer is not fast enough, then you might want to consider reducing the amount of effects by applying those effects (saving a copy of the raw material) destructively and/or bounce several tracks to one audio track (i.e. bounce all violin section into one audio track, etc). Also, try adjusting the effective latency, for mixing purposes there is no need to run the system at low latencies, sometimes I can go up to 80msec or so to relieve CPU power

Have fun and good luck.
    PS: If you have a link to post I may be able to give it a listen and provide comments.

Hi Maciek,

you need to create a total of five posts before you can post a link, that is the rule of this forum.

I am so glad Boten answered your questions so elequently, I don't need to make a big post because I agree with him, I am self taught and have not read any books, but perhaps the one he mentioned might be a good idea.

dpDan

Hi,
    Thanks Boten for your answer, it was very helpful - few interesting ideas I appreciate that. I`ll post the link as soon as I can

http://www.dobrowolski.net.pl/mp3/work03.mp3 - here`s the link. I`ll be grateful for any advices.

p.s. There`s a moment, where the flutes play... ehm... false notes (?) - don`t mind it, I`ll change it later.

Oh, I forgot - here`s my PC spec. :
    P IV 3 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, DMX 6Fire 24/96 sound card

I use Cubase SE, Finale 2006 and GPO.

Any comments to the mp3 file ?

Go Back to forum