• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sony Again

Share/Bookmark

Sony Again

Acid Planet:

I read the terms of service, and will never post a thing there. ANYTHING you post there grants Sony royalty free, payment free rights to use any or all of it at any time, in perpetuity, non-revocable, in any way they see fit. It is non-exclusive, but effectively, you could never sell any rights to it if Sony gives it away or undercuts your asking price. Comments?

Richard
    Last edited by rwayland; 11-18-2005 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Sony Again

I think they have to do that, at least to some degree. I believe that it's the same here. Write a great poem in this forum, and NSS has the right to publish it. Otherwise you could sue them for something that you typed in to the site.

Same thing with ACID Planet. For them to host it, they need free publishing rights. And they retain the right to advertise on the site and make money from it. They can profit from your work indirectly. (Hey, we add content here, which makes NSS interesting, and NSS hopefully makes a buck. No big deal.)

If they have the right to put your music on a CD and sell it, and you don't, that would be going to far. They should be able to re-purpose to some degree, but not without limits.

I haven't read their agreement in a number of years, so I have no idea if their stuff is reasonable, or if they gobble up every right under the sun.

I do know that there are some publishing sites that let you send them written works for publishing consideration. The only problem is that as soon as you submit the work to them for review, you lose all rights to the material! I don't know that their tactics would stand up in court, but it's totally unethical.

The bottom line: if you own content that you wish to protect, be careful where you put it!

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Acid Planet:

I read the terms of service, and will never post a thing there. ANYTHING you post there grants Sony royalty free, payment free rights to use any or all of it at any time, in perpetuity, non-revocable, in any way they see fit. It is non-exclusive, but effectively, you could never sell any rights to it if Sony gives it away or undercuts your asking price. Comments?

Richard

Section D -

D - TERMINATION

You may terminate this Agreement at any time by so notifying us. The Agreement will terminate upon our actual receipt of such notice. We may terminate this Agreement at any time by so notifying you. The Agreement will terminate upon your actual receipt of such notice or three days after we have sent a notice of termination to the e-mail address that you have supplied to us. Upon termination, all of our licensed rights will terminate, except those rights necessary for us to continue to distribute any promotional items that we have produced prior to the date of termination.

Bosco Adama

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco Adama
    Section D -

D - TERMINATION

You may terminate this Agreement at any time by so notifying us. The Agreement will terminate upon our actual receipt of such notice. We may terminate this Agreement at any time by so notifying you. The Agreement will terminate upon your actual receipt of such notice or three days after we have sent a notice of termination to the e-mail address that you have supplied to us. Upon termination, all of our licensed rights will terminate, except those rights necessary for us to continue to distribute any promotional items that we have produced prior to the date of termination.

Thank you. I looked for that, but missed it. But I still don't think I would post any music there.

Richard

Go Back to forum