• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Theory books for RA/Ethnoworld owners?

Share/Bookmark

Theory books for RA/Ethnoworld owners?

Basically looking for theory books on world/ethnic/latin etc. music.
    Just a "the basics" book covering loads of genres. I'm not interested in being a Polka or Bhangra professor but some basic knowledge about instrumentation, scales etc. would be very useful.
    Searches on Amazon haven't really provided me with anything.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: of course a CD-ROM with audio examples would be even better.

Re: Theory books for RA/Ethnoworld owners?

That's not a bad question. I just finished my first gig with RA and most of the time I was feeling quite unsure about what I was doing. The gig was fine and the music is right for the context but it would be nice to have some certainty about some things. Anyone?

Interesting idea. I would be interested in writing about that.

However, it could become very complex, for instance with the classical Arabian scales, since Arabian music can include a number of quarter tones in every scale. Instruments like the Kanoun can switch between half and quarter totes, and instruments like the Turkish Saz have extra frets for these.

There's more to it than scales of course. The phrasing is different, use of ornamention, polyphony (or unison with the only polyphony being the differences in ornamentation), rhythm, timbre and use of modality.

It depends on how far the composer wants to take it. There's a great difference between ethnic music used in media soundtracks and original music from these regions/periods. The question is, is the current level of use of ethnic instruments in the average media soundtrack acceptable, or is more knowledge of the original arts needed? A lot of composers are classically trained, so why not ethnically trained?

For Indian music theory check Swar System's web site:

http://www.swarsystems.com/shop/

Cheers,

ck

http://www.ethnicfusionsound.com/Free.html
    most of it is the Rhythm, your not going to find some really complex harmonic voicing in the music, because of limitations of the scale(and you just go into jazz if you did)
    That page will give you good layout for Rhythm voicing for styles. I think you would need to start some where study there Folk music and them move on^_* as it all blends together at one point or another and is influenced by another culture. So what you need to do is study each cluture individually to learn there music, the music is the pulse of the cutlure after all mostly there tradional styles
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Hey one more link for ya http://www.turath.org/ProfilesMenu.htm
    ^_-
    here's a page that is teaching about Arab Music. You have to understand the instruments to understand the ethnic styles and of course scale and what tuning those instruments have yea. well good page for arab theory music.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Ethnic Instruments Guide (in german though, apparently soon to be english):

http://www.backintimerecords.de/bitr037.htm

steve

Thanks guys.

Herman: so when is the book coming out

CK: thanks. Yes I'm aware of those guys.

Lee Blaske: Different sources is ok. I Just don't want 5 600 pages books.

StrangeCat: thanks, will check it out.

sghoughton: Sounds good. Will check it out. I do know a bit German, and that would be a good excuse to practising it. Can't believe I didn't know about that one.

You could also check out the RA manual on the soundsonline site too. Lots of ethnic instument info in that.

steve

Thanks. Done that. But that's mainly instruments info, not genre info.

Go Back to forum