• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Vatican Official Refutes Intelligent Design

Share/Bookmark

Vatican Official Refutes Intelligent Design

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Dear me...what's old Brother Pat Robertson gonna say now? Although, I guess this doesn't count cause the source is not a fellow fundamentalist!

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/18/D8DV0FEO0.html

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Re: Vatican Official Refutes Intelligent Design

Rev. Coyne is smarter than his boss, it appears.

good I wish the dumb theocrats here in the dumb south of dumb cobb county Georgia would read that. but half of them view cathlosim as a cult anyway

Quote Originally Posted by mike harper
    good I wish the dumb theocrats here in the dumb south of dumb cobb county Georgia county would read that. but half of them view cathlosim as a cult anyway
    Seeing as how that waw the 'original' Christianity, that's pretty hard to do, but that has never stopped the diehard fundamentalist If you can believe the crap they spout about heaven, hell and the Rupture, then you can buy anything they sell you, like Unintelligent Design, gay marriage ruining our daughters, and Bush is a good man...

I was raised Catholic until I was old enough to think for myself, but never realized we were considered a perscuted minority till I spent time in Mississippi. Catholics really are demonized by the Southern preachers who need to keep expanding their cu$tomer b~~~e.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    I was raised Catholic until I was old enough to think for myself, but never realized we were considered a perscuted minority till I spent time in Mississippi
    Does that mean you still are? If not, then disregard the rest of this. If so, then have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    If you can believe the crap they spout about heaven, hell and the Rupture, then you can buy anything they sell you, like Unintelligent Design, gay marriage ruining our daughters, and Bush is a good man
    You mean just like Purgatory, penances, paying money to the church to get out of an imaginary place, idolatry?..... nevermind. I'll keep this short so we don't both get banned.

I've made it very clear that I'm not a lover of fundamentalists either, but if you're going to rip on another Christian sect for having control issues and believing things that are ridiculous, you might want to check your own church's views on the authority of scripture versus the authority and tradition of the church. The problem is that most Catholics aren't even TAUGHT anything about the Catholic church's views versus what scripture teaches. Why? Because a lot of them aren't based on scripture (Purgatory, etc.). How convenient in order to keep control of the layity and money! And THAT is not a coincidence. For quite a while, the layity weren't even allowed to READ the Bible. Not that they could anyway (also not a coincidence that masses were done in Latin since the public couldn't understand any of it), until Luther translated it from Latin in to German, etc.

Incidentally, it's sad that "the original Christianity" as you put it, is still saying the rosary, an extremely repetitious and unscriptural "prayer", when the whole purpose and context in which Jesus gave us the Lord's Prayer was to avoid that crap (you might want to read that part). But I digress.

Anyway. Enough of that. Not meant to be a personal attack, although you'll probably take it as such. I just couldn't resist showing your hypocracy in insulting fundamentalists (even though they annoy the piss out of me, too), since the Catholic church has MANY things that aren't based on scripture at all, also. But I guess we need more neurotics and obsessive compulsive people in the world. Did you ever watch baseball?

And the Catholic church playing the victim? Do victims kill millions of people? Please...
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Rev. Coyne is smarter than his boss, it appears.
    It does appear that way. I watched his speech at that convention or whatever on CSPAN. It was incredibly interesting (although the camera actually showed some people who fell asleep). I liked his viewpoint that science and religion are SEPARATE subjects and should be taught that way, yet neither should be afraid of the other. I often wonder why people who claim to be so full of faith, have their faith threatened so much by science. Those are the same people who feel the need to put God in a box.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Most of you know my beliefs on the subject, and for myself Danimal, I do not feel threatened at all by science. I just don't think science can answer (with arrogant confidence as some do) what happened many, many years ago with observations and assumptions made in a recent blip in time.

I'm sure some do feel threatened, and I don't really know the climate of the church in the US, so maybe your generalization is accurate, I don't know. But it definitely is not the case for everyone.

Rob

It's just shocking how many people actually believe that nonsense. Shocking. Appalling.

And on top of that you have the unmitigated gall to say that science is arrogant.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    Does that mean you still are? If not, then disregard the rest of this. If so, then have fun.

And the Catholic church playing the victim? Do victims kill millions of people? Please...
    Danimal, not at all - I stopped beleiving in the concept of organized religion a good 40 years or more ago. All I was saying is the Roman Catholic church, which, as far as I was taught, was the first or the Cristian sects - all the others split from Rome later, so all Protestant sects (Protest-ant) are Johnnie-come-latelies in comparison. Not that it matters.

IMO (and it AIN'T humble) there are NO good religions. I believe (and am VERY aware that this is a belief, not a fact) that there is some thing which was responsible for the existence of the physical universe, and I use the word 'God' to refer to it. But that is as far as I am willing to commit.

All else in the religious sphere is simply command and control, the attempt to make us follow someone else's rules - and by the way, you can't see that person, or talk to him directly - but I can, if you give me enough $$$. Then when you die, you'll goi somewhere nice, and those who didn't believe in me will go somewhere bad - and won't you be happy to see them get their comeuppance...) The Golden Rule covers all of the same territory without the trappings - or the tithe...

I mean come on, folks, kiddie playtime is a lot like that - with God as the schoolyard bully and his ministers/priests/shamen/rabbis/henchpersons as enforcers. (I'll give the rabbis a pass, though, they at least are interested in discussing the issue/)

One of my favorite passages in 'literature' is from a book I do not remember the name or author of; it's a whodunit where the protagonist, a thief, goes to see his old friend, who has become a minister. The minister tries to recruit the hero into his church as another minister, explaining, "You can sell ANYTHING, you put the name God after it..."
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    It's just shocking how many people actually believe that nonsense. Shocking. Appalling.

And on top of that you have the unmitigated gall to say that science is arrogant.
    What I find arrogant is when anyone says, "This is how it was. Period. And you're an idiot if you believe otherwise." - man, that sounds SO familiar. Yet time and time again these theories are revised or even thrown out because of new evidence that refutes the original idea. So yeah, I do have the gall to say some scientists are arrogant, when the reality is we know very little.

Sincerely shocking and appalling,

Rob

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast