• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How do you add various articulations?

Share/Bookmark

How do you add various articulations?

Hi Everyone,

The main sample is just normal guitar notes. Then there are some samples of guitar slides, hearing fingers on the strings/frets as you move to the note. What's the easiest way to incorporate those?

My guess is play the main sample all the way through on track 1. In the places where I want the slide effect, delete that note on track 1 and fill in with the slide articulation on track 2?

Thank you,

Joanne

Re: How do you add various articulations?

That's always been a good solution for me. What lib/platform are you using? Some can be setup to do things like automatically trigger the fret noise articulation when you finish a line and such, though such methods can wind up sounding repetitive.The two track approach gives you more control.

Thanks Fred. I had no clue how everyone did this, and glad to know. This particular question is for a 12-string guitar that comes with Kontkat and I sequence using Cubase SX. For this sample, I don't think there are keyswitching capabilities.

But good point bringing up keyswitching. Even for my libs that have that - EWQL Gold etc., I don't think I'm fast enough on the keyboard to quickly hit one of the lower keyswitch keys to activate the articulation change during realtime play. My guess is for libs that have keyswitching, people play the main articulation on track 1 and then on a second pass, go back and edit in the keyswitches into track 1. So the only benefit of keyswitches are saving the space for loading in an entire new sample on a different track?

Joanne

Well, not just keyswitching but for instance with Lyrical Distortion (a Bela D electric guitar lib) and Kontakt you can set up a layer of a guitar patch and, say, fret noise and set the fret sample to trigger as a release sample when you release all the keys at the end of a line- that's what I meant. But it will happen every time- great in some mixes and situations, but annoying if it's too audible and too frequent. So, I still vote for the two track approach. That's how I do portamentos and slides with string sections.

Keyswitching- I can do it real time for some instruments at some speeds but I don't tend to like them because of the problems you mentioned and also in Sonar it often won't "look back" right- if you start playing a sequence after a keyswitch it doesn't see it, the wrong articulation plays. I like loading up different articulations on different tracks and switching back and forth that way but that has it's own set of hassles There probably is no "best way", just ways that wind up being the lesser of all evils for the way you like to work.

The three approaches are:

1) Keyswitches or other real-time control from your MIDI controller.
    2) Different articulations on different tracks.
    3) Program changes on a single track.

I generally prefer 1 & 3. But, if you're using Kontakt, option 3 is not an option.

-JF

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    also in Sonar it often won't "look back" right- if you start playing a sequence after a keyswitch it doesn't see it, the wrong articulation plays.
    If you can enable MIDI Chasing for notes, and make the keyswitch notes as long as the passage to which they apply, then you won't have this problem anymore. I don't know how to do that in Sonar, as I'm a Cubase person.

- Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by sbkp
    If you can enable MIDI Chasing for notes, and make the keyswitch notes as long as the passage to which they apply, then you won't have this problem anymore. I don't know how to do that in Sonar, as I'm a Cubase person.

- Stefan
    Stretch the note. Huh, duh, didn't think of that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Stretch the note. Huh, duh, didn't think of that.
    The simplest things often elude us.

MIDI Chase is the part that's usually overlooked. It will cause notes to play even when you start in the middle. I find that makes the music work out better, too, when I'm editing a section -- particularly if there are long notes being played.

- Stefan

Thanks Jon, Fred Stefan.

Here's a question about simulating acoustic guitar. Let's say for the sake of discussion that I've just finished a midi track performing and editing an acoustic guitar part to be as realistic as I can get it. Now I've also got a sample of that "squeaking fretnoise sound" that an acoustic guitar makes when a player is moving from chord to chord.

Since I don't play guitar at all, I have no idea when using this "squeak" is appropriate and I certainly dont want to overdue it. Is there any rule of thumb I can use about when to use this sample? Thanks.

Go Back to forum