• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Percussion Program with GPO

Share/Bookmark

Percussion Program with GPO

I'm looking to drop pre-existing 'drum beds' into a classical work alongside GPO instrumentation...any thoughts on programs you use, programs you like/dislike?

Any thoughts/perspectives would be greatly appreciated...

thanks!

Re: Percussion Program with GPO

What kind of beds?

If it's midi I like RM IV. You can set automatic variations in timbre and timing and there lots of alternative kits (although I must say only a few fit my aesthetic--not that the others sound bad technically to my ear, just not right for what I'm doing.)

Now as to sound quality, I haven't worked with BFD or DfHS or anything looped based so my ear might not be sufficiently discriminating with respect to your needs.

Some other nice things about RM IV: very user-friendly liscensing/cp (you can back up and restore without online authorization or dongles) and its pretty light weight as far as cpu goes.

And you can import LM4 format kits.

Regards

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by chet reinhardt
    What kind of beds?

Chet
    I have no idea...I use GPO and the snare drum roll is all I know, use or have experience with.

Basically I'm looking to expand my musical horizons beyond basic 'classical' and right now, the idea of combining classical music with interesting drum rhythms excites me.

I assume you mean Linplug RM IV...does it create 'automatic drum beds'...that is, interesting rhythms with interesting percussive instruments in a relatively easy way? And what's the difference between this and say, RMX or Stormdrum or Percussive Adventures?

Any help would be most welcome...

thanks!!

Do you have Kontakt 2?

Included in K2's 15 gig sample library, among a special version of VSL, are some very cool Percussion patches which have many automated (and customizable) rhythms. Ethnic, expanded classical percussion, etc.

Just a thought.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Here's a link to a discussion on the Sonar forum which might provide some useful information:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=639812
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Yes RM IV is from the Linplug. It doesn't generate parts but it includes a large library of grooves and fills from Groove Monkey. I don't use them although they seem quite good, I prefer to construct my own parts. (Which aren't as sophisticated but to my ear fit my music.)

There is a RM IV demo so you can see if it is in the ballpark of what your looking for and Groove Monkey has sample grooves that show the sort of thing that they do. (Can't find GMs link at the moment will post it later).

http://www.linplug.com/

Regards

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Do you have Kontakt 2?

Included in K2's 15 gig sample library, among a special version of VSL, are some very cool Percussion patches which have many automated (and customizable) rhythms. Ethnic, expanded classical percussion, etc.

Just a thought.

Jerry
    I do have K2 and I tried many different patches and all I could find (other than GPO-similar orchestral percussion) were single hits...no automated rhythms...I read the manual (such that it is) and find myself at a (relative) loss. Any pointers would definitely help.

Regarding Linplug...I downloaded the demo and came up with a big fat zero...without a manual, I'm as good as out to sea. I've requested said manual, so perhaps things will change soon.

Thanks all!

Try adding congas along with a deep bass drum. Wood blocks and timbales are good too. Rather than going for a rock beat, I like the combination of a more earthy, primal rhythm with orchestra.

Check out the movie that my son filmed and edited in one week. I did the score in a weekend. I was really happy with the rhythm beds that I was able to do. As I recall, I mainly used percussion that came free with GS3. (Westgate, primarily.)

(Please download and play from your PC, so I can keep the bandwidth down, if you play it more than once.) http://fairhurst.com/realaudio/2005/2005web.rm

Have a fun weekend!

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by imagegod
    I do have K2 and I tried many different patches and all I could find (other than GPO-similar orchestral percussion) were single hits...no automated rhythms...I read the manual (such that it is) and find myself at a (relative) loss. Any pointers would definitely help.
    The ready made automated rhythms are in the "loops" area. I know you can automate which samples you use or those loops, but haven't gotten into the programming and scripting aspect of K2 that much yet. I have just been enjoying the samples it came with. I am sure someone more tech-centered will be able to articulate the how and the procedure for doing that.

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Also there are some in the "banks" area too!

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Go Back to forum