• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt's "ingenius" mapping...

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt's "ingenius" mapping...

Well.. Kontakt(2) doesn't convert from the .gig format too well. Not only does it screw up on something as simple as a velocity switch patch (from GS3), it creates a complete mess out of any crossfade patch you throw at it (can someone recommend a .gig2nki converter that actually WORKS?). It's practically useless, so I've realized I have to reprogram everything from scratch. Ok, fair enough, had their "ingenius mapping" system actually WORKED.

I've got 1000s of files named fx. "vln_sus_p_G3", "vln_sus_p_A3" etc etc. but does Kontakt recognize the pitch from the filename? NO. Instead it sorts the files alphabetically, and when you try to map a selection of files it'll just map them alphabetically in ascending order. Handy&%¤"%¤¤#. Now, I've read the manual up and down a billion times to no avail. My guess is that soundforge has saved "C4" as root key info in the wavfiles when I edited the samples in the first place. In Gigastudio this is easily overridden by the "ignore root key information" switch in the preferences. In Kontakt they seem to think people don't need such features.

What the heck do I do? is there any way to ignore root key info? There has to be a switch somewhere? Perhaps some kind of simple application that will remove root key info from a batch of wave files?

Thanks...

Lightbulb Re: Kontakt's "ingenius" mapping...

Yeah, I just did a review of K2, and it was not till later I saw that it did a pretty poor job of .gig conversion for most things. I just stopped trying. I think VSampler does a better job.
    You might ask Garth (ChickenSys) if his converter can solve your problems....
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Re: Kontakt's "ingenius" mapping...

Several solutions.
    Break down complex instruments in Giga into single simple files. Make them as simple as possible: one instrument for each keyswitch dimension, each instrument with only basic basic velocity and cc layers. Preferrably split the release trails from the main instrument and save them also as seperate instruments. It helps to save them as separate Gigastudio 2 files (automatically downconverting them to 16 bit sound files while saving). You can replace the wavepool in Kontakt at a later time.
    Now you can import each separate component in Kontakt. Root key information will be preserved and only minor things such as velocity and filter settings will get screwed up.
    Each imported component will show up as a group or bunch of groups.
    Fix all the groups to do exactly what they did in Giga.
    Then re-build the original instrument with all dimensions:copy and paste the groups in one new instrument or create a multi. Multi's aren't the best solution since loading one multi wipes out all other instruments loaded in Kontakt. Combining them in one new instrument slot is better.

Solution two: hire Garth! My results with Translator are ok, but you'll need the master himself to get perfect results.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Post
    (automatically downconverting them to 16 bit sound files while saving).
    If that works, cause downconverting to 16 bit doesn't work in GS 3.12. Whenever trying so I get a "file open error" on all of the files, no matter which file where on whatever drive it's located.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_J
    Well.. Kontakt(2) doesn't convert from the .gig format too well. Not only does it screw up on something as simple as a velocity switch patch (from GS3), it creates a complete mess out of any crossfade patch you throw at it (can someone recommend a .gig2nki converter that actually WORKS?). It's practically useless, so I've realized I have to reprogram everything from scratch. Ok, fair enough, had their "ingenius mapping" system actually WORKED.

I've got 1000s of files named fx. "vln_sus_p_G3", "vln_sus_p_A3" etc etc. but does Kontakt recognize the pitch from the filename? NO. Instead it sorts the files alphabetically, and when you try to map a selection of files it'll just map them alphabetically in ascending order. Handy&%¤"%¤¤#. Now, I've read the manual up and down a billion times to no avail. My guess is that soundforge has saved "C4" as root key info in the wavfiles when I edited the samples in the first place. In Gigastudio this is easily overridden by the "ignore root key information" switch in the preferences. In Kontakt they seem to think people don't need such features.

What the heck do I do? is there any way to ignore root key info? There has to be a switch somewhere? Perhaps some kind of simple application that will remove root key info from a batch of wave files?

Thanks...
    Thomas,

Just a couple of quick questions (sorry for the digression). I have Kontakt (1.54) running on my SX Host machine (primarily to take up some of the load my 3 Giga PC's can't handle.) Thinking of a 4th PC but want to look at all options available.

1. I thought you were primarily GS?

2. If not, why the change to Kontakt (more Ram loading, etc.)

3. Aside from this issue with converting has K2.0 been what you thought it would be?

4. Would I benefit making this 'fourth slave' a Kontakt PC instead of another GS one?

Thanks for replying when you have a moment.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Thanks Michiel! You're a life saver That was exactly the information I needed!

I'll look into Translator, but I think you just solved my biggest problem, Michiel.

Rob,

1) I am Love that piece of software.
    2) The only reason is that I've written a legato script with the Kontakt 2 script editor that I need to use on several instruments (that script editor is fantastic!).
    3) I'm very happy with K2, compared to K1. It's a good improvement. The K2 streaming is greatly improved from K1 as far as I can tell. I still can't stand the GUI (GS has by FAR the better and more intuitive GUI - and standard windows hotkeys etc. work.) but I'm starting to get used to it. It has crashed Cubase quite a number of times, usually under heavy load, and it has a nasty bug of some kind, causing LOUD audio feedback if you switch from "DFD" to "Sampler" mode. Beware! Sometimes, switching from DFD to Sampler mode will also cause Cubase to lose its audio altogether, requiring a restart.

4) I just ditched two of my GS computers (leaving 3) because my custom orch lib is very resource friendly, but I've been thinking about adding a 4gb ram Kontakt2 slave running V-Stack to get the same amount of ports as with Gigastudio 3 (8 ports). If V-Stack supports the /3gb switch you should in theory be able to benefit greatly, ram-wise. Remember, though...V-Stack had a nasty bug, causing midi to drop out completely after an uptime of 10-20 hours or so. I dunno if they ever fixed that.

Good luck!

(and thanks again Michiel!)

Thanks Thomas - I'll give Vstack and K2 a closer look - anything to increase loading / ram resources would be great!

Thanks again.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Lightbulb Re: Kontakt's "ingenius" mapping...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Elliott
    I'll give Vstack and K2 a closer look
    Don't forget about the VST(i) host Bidule:
    http://www.plogue.com/index.php?opti...tory&Itemid=31
    It is free but times out after a few months then a new version is posted. You can buy it too, natch. It is really fantastic. I just added two more computers to my studio, and currently both are running Bidule. One is hosting GS3 in rewire mode along with other VSTs and the other is hosting two instances of K2: Both setups are working great with little or no latency that I can tell. Just connect the dots and you are off and running. Check it out.
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by dwdonehoo
    Don't forget about the VST(i) host Bidule:
    http://www.plogue.com/index.php?opti...tory&Itemid=31
    It is free but times out after a few months then a new version is posted. You can buy it too, natch. It is really fantastic. I just added two more computers to my studio, and currently both are running Bidule. One is hosting GS3 in rewire mode along with other VSTs and the other is hosting two instances of K2: Both setups are working great with little or no latency that I can tell. Just connect the dots and you are off and running. Check it out.

Thanks Doyle - I'll give it a look see.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Hei Thomas,

I've had pretty good results translating from Giga 3 to .nki with Translator. I'd say about 90% of the stuff I've translated so far has worked perfectly (mostly VSL pro ed and True Strike). You'll still have to do some tweaking here and there, but at least it's better than the K2 translation. Make sure you get the latest build of translator, though.

Sometimes, switching from DFD to Sampler mode will also cause Cubase to lose its audio altogether, requiring a restart.
    In this case, and in most other cases where Cubase loses it's audio, you can almost always get it back without restarting, by resetting the audio engine, under "Devices", in the panel where you select your audio driver. VST Multitrack or whatever it's called.

Remember, though...V-Stack had a nasty bug, causing midi to drop out completely after an uptime of 10-20 hours or so. I dunno if they ever fixed that.
    If you have the latest version of V-stack (1.2, i think), you can get the MIDI to "wake up" by hitting play on the transport control (in V-Stack, not in your sequencer). This should get it back 9 out of 10 times. Beware though....if you've been hitting keys on your controller before hitting "play", all those notes will be stored in a buffer, and as soon as you hit play they all trigger at once! Keep an eye on your monitor level!

Lykke til!!

Andreas Bjørck
    Verité Music

Go Back to forum