• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sol Demens

Share/Bookmark

Sol Demens

Sol Demens [A Mad Sun]

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=675850&t=7350

A meditation for two piccolos and string orchestra.

14 minutes of surreal madness

Be sure to put on your SPF 35 Sun Screen!

This is my first GPO “recording” so it is very very rough around the edges. It was created with Sibelius 4 and GPO. any advice on how to improve the "performance" will be appreciated.

I am working on a second version where I am trying to implement a little more control over the playback, still learning this stuff. Sonar is on order, but has not yet arrived.
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Re: Sol Demens

Well, I haven't checked out this version, but I can tell you that when you get cracking with Sonar, lots of problems will disappear. Particularly, I like the idea that you can export audio without concern about cracks, pops, etc. In this case, latency is meaningless, since you don't actually save the audio and then export the audio recording to wav. Since the noise is in the playback, and you don't really play back, the noise is just not there. Be sure to use the VST version of GPO, because I think that the tempo change problem is still there in Sonar with the DXI. I think that you will find the best reverb will be found in the Cakewalk FxReverb, but it takes a few mistakes to learn it. When I get over this flu shot response, I will see if I can provide some suggestions about GPO for you. Every year I get a flu shot, every year I spend about three days recovering. Makes my eyes very heavy, real easy to fall asleep. I have lost my place in my own composing so many times that I had to give up and take a few naps! Another sleep is approaching now!

Richard

Thanks Richard.
    //
    //

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sharpe
    Thanks Richard.
    It's a slow download on my dialup, but I am waiting it out. Streaming is hopeless for me.

Richard

Ed, you seem to have a good grip on GPO. The only problem I see is in the levels. My volume indicators spent a lot of time in the red, and although I had the volume set low, it was still too loud. A big thing with GPO is to keep the levels low in your sequencer, and in your situation, with Sonar on the way, you can easily trim up or down as needed.

I am wondering how you managed to get 14 minutes into such a small mp3 file.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Ed, you seem to have a good grip on GPO. The only problem I see is in the levels. My volume indicators spent a lot of time in the red, and although I had the volume set low, it was still too loud. A big thing with GPO is to keep the levels low in your sequencer, and in your situation, with Sonar on the way, you can easily trim up or down as needed.

I am wondering how you managed to get 14 minutes into such a small mp3 file.

Richard
    Thank you again, I do not know how I got the file so small. I used CDex to create the MP3 file. I will keep the levels in mind, with Kotakt Gold it was always too low.

The revised version is now available on SibeliusMusic along with the score.

Sol Demens [A Mad Sun]

Version Two

A meditation for two piccolos and string orchestra.
    14 minutes of surreal madness
    Be sure to put on your SPF 35 Sun Screen!

http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=49591

It is probally still too loud, but the MP3 file is much larger, created with a friend's Cubase, I think I will run the wav through Cdex now and compare file sizes.
    //
    //

In order to access your music on Acid Planet, I had to register. No big deal. BUT: I read the terms of service, and will never post a thing there. ANYTHING you post there grants Sony royalty free, payment free rights to use any or all of it at any time, in perpetuity, non-revocable, in any way they see fit. It is non-exclusive, but effectively, you could never sell any rights to it if Sony gives it away or undercuts your asking price.

Richard
    Last edited by rwayland; 11-18-2005 at 10:01 PM. Reason: careless typo

I don`t know why, but the browser couldn`t find the file... ;( Is it the link still valid ?

Go Back to forum