• Register
  • Help

Topic: Database program?

Share/Bookmark

Question Database program?

Hi All,

I am beginning to rack up a number of compositions in different genres and styles as I continue to score for films, etc., as well as samples and clips. I'm beginning to see the use of these as a library to use for liscencing, as well as for my own future use, but I need a database program that I could search under different queries - ie: scary, happy, sad, OR instrumental, rock, orchestral, OR guitars, flutes, voice, OR 120 bpm, 80 bpm, 160 bpm, etc ... where different compositions may fit in any number of categories, thus making it cumbersome to create a number of file folders...

Any suggestions? What do you use?

Thanks!!

Adrian

Re: Database program?

I use a large hardbound accounting book, and write the stuff by hand. Indexed by number, cross referenced to a page with more descriptive stuff, including your "happy sad 120 bpm" as appropriate. I keep things like the bmi reference number, performance notes, recordings, sometimes placement with retailers. Unless you are incredibly prolific, a database is overkill imo. My numbering system is in the 500s now and browsing through a physical book still works perfectly well. There is also an intellectual and psychological benefit to browsing, which direct searches don't provide.

Quote Originally Posted by aelliscomposer
    Hi All,

I am beginning to rack up a number of compositions in different genres and styles as I continue to score for films, etc., as well as samples and clips. I'm beginning to see the use of these as a library to use for liscencing, as well as for my own future use, but I need a database program that I could search under different queries - ie: scary, happy, sad, OR instrumental, rock, orchestral, OR guitars, flutes, voice, OR 120 bpm, 80 bpm, 160 bpm, etc ... where different compositions may fit in any number of categories, thus making it cumbersome to create a number of file folders...

Any suggestions? What do you use?

Thanks!!

Adrian

Look into Filemaker if you haven't already. The basics of Filemaker are really straight forward and you can customize the application however you want. (it's cross platform too, which is a great bonus)

I've seen some really neat home-grown database programs that were done in Filemaker and the possibilities are pretty much limitless. You could create as many categories as you want and search by any parameter. Make sure to have a unique identifiier for every entry.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

GigaStudio has great search/database functions. Just put your keywords in the keyword chunk of the wav file, and Giga will search them along with the QuickSound database, and allow you a quick audition capability.

Not to mention, it's a great sampler...

Yes, Giga and K2 have searchable databases now.

I admire your idea, but the problem is that you have to keep it up to date. If you do want to go DB, Filemaker and Access are straightforward.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

why not just iTunes? It's free, you can enter your categories as you like, you can hear the results of the search immediately, and did I mention it's free?

Thanks all for your replies!

"There is also an intellectual and psychological benefit to browsing, which direct searches don't provide."

I'll bet! I suppose there is a bit of work involved, and yes, you have to keep up to date, but being able to reference 5 pieces on demand, based on specific word queries without auditioning each piece, would be very helpful.

iTunes sounds like a possibility, but I'm not sure if it's as integrated or flexible as I would need it to be. How does it work?

Filemaker - this would be my first choice, but it's VERY expensive!! I think it retails for $499.00!! Access seems like a good route for now - I never realized what Access was, as this is my first time needing a database (!), and it turns out I already have it... so I'm going to learn that one and see what happens.

Thanks again!

well, like I mentioned, it's free.....

just download it and try it. import your files into it and assign whatever keywords you like. You can edit info on multiple selections. Make playlists of different searches.

Go Back to forum