• Register
  • Help

Topic: When do you think it is appropriate to write music?

Share/Bookmark

When do you think it is appropriate to write music?

When is the right time in the design of a game to write music? When is too early? A recent employer has asked me to start writing the score for a game. The issue being that the engine is not even near 50% commplete. There is not even audio implementation currently, and the game is near 2 years from release.

I could be crazy but when I have worked with games in the past, (which is MUCH less than film), I thought that the scoring was typically done later than this. I feel like I am writing music to sketches I just wanted to hear your experiences.

thanks,
    Sean Beeson

Re: When do you think it is appropriate to write music?

I put this in the wrong part of the forum. Sorry, I meant to put it in game audio, and I am not sure how to move it

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Beeson
    When is the right time in the design of a game to write music?
    As soon as they start paying you!

Darren

Hi Sean, ideally, you should be working with devs from day one. Obviously it doesnt always happen this way.

I have to submit an initial track for a game that has only just gone into pre-production. If the music is being written early enough in the piece, you can help shape the game and how the player experiences it.

I would be in constant communication with the audio director and audio programmer too, making sure that you guys are all on the same page (musically).

It might be worth getting your contract sorted out early too, perhaps put in a clause about being paid within a certain time frame of delivery of music.

This way, if the project took a radical turn 6 months down the track, you should have already been paid for the work up to that date.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

The game I'm working now is also looking at a 06/07 release. Its actualy a little tough, as you mostly have concept drawings and a script to write off of. But if your up for that then as darren so rightly puts it "as soon as they start paying you"

Go Back to forum