• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GPO and Kirk Hunter´s Emerald library: Any thoughts?

Share/Bookmark

GPO and Kirk Hunter´s Emerald library: Any thoughts?

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare GPO and the new KH Emerald library? I do own GPO and am currently thinking of getting Emerald as an add on library (or maybe substitute??). Any experiences or opinions?
    Thanks for your input
    Raindog

Re: GPO and Kirk Hunter´s Emerald library: Any thoughts?

Here's my onion.
    If you are in a good position to purchase more for your artistic palette then do so. The more tools the better.
    I will admit to not owning Kirk Hunter's Emerald but I do believe in being as prepared as possible with as much as possible if possible. Got the cash to splash?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Here's my onion.
    If you are in a good position to purchase more for your artistic palette then do so. The more tools the better.
    I will admit to not owning Kirk Hunter's Emerald but I do believe in being as prepared as possible with as much as possible if possible. Got the cash to splash?
    Hi Styxx and tanks for your onion.....

I still got some cash but it´s getting less with all these tempting libraries that´s why I was asking if KH Emerald is more of a competitor or complimentary to GPO???

regards
    Raindog

Competitor to GPO? Hands down no way. Actually, in all fairness I wouldn't know. I'm in the same boat as far as funds. I did hear Kirk Hunter's demos and was impressed but personally do not have the resources to purchase another orchestra library. I am very satisfied with GPO and heck, haven't had much time to explore all the possibilities since my system has failed.
    I have opted to hold on to whatever dwindling resources and save for JABB, SSV and GPOA.
    Just me 49 & 1/2 cents.

PS - Healthy competition.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Raindog
    Has anyone had the opportunity to compare GPO and the new KH Emerald library? I do own GPO and am currently thinking of getting Emerald as an add on library (or maybe substitute??). Any experiences or opinions?
    Raindog,
    If you want to expand your palette of sounds, I think Kirk Hunter's library is an excellent choice. Kirk is known for quality samples and I know many people who use his libraries and are very satisfied. Sample libraries are not mutually exclusive and the more colors and tools for the artist, the better.
    Gary Garritan

GPO is a unique library in the way it is put together and controlled. Because of this, GPO really does not have any competition per se. Sure, there are big expensive libraries that sound better in certain situations, and there are small compact libraries that offer a similar value--but nothing offers the level of control and nuance of GPO. GPO alone is enough for many musicians, but if you do a lot of professional producing, you'll probably want to get some other libraries in order to expand your pallette.

There are plenty of great libraries out there, and if you can afford them, go for it. I don't know the Kirk Hunter set personally, but I know his libraries have strong reputations. I use EWQL Gold and I have been very happy with it, although I almost always supplement it with GPO (or vice versa).

In the end, the more choices you have, the better, so go buy whatever sounds good to you (and you can afford). Every library will have its strengths and weaknesses, and will fulfill a certain niche. But I think GPO should be in everyone's arsenal simply because it supplies features and control that nobody else has quite achieved.

For those of you familiar with microphones, GPO is kind of like the SM57 -- trusty, reliable, and everybody should have one (or many)--a recording engineer might own $3000 Neumann mics, but in many situations they'll still want to use their trusty old SM57's. New uses for it pop up all the time, and it is right at home with the big boys that cost much much more.

chris.

I have the Kirk Hunter Brass library and the String library... I can tell you that these are very high quality sounds, and a lot of this stuff made its way into Emerald... I have done projects using both Kirk Hunter sounds and GPO sounds... They work well together...

Since you already have GPO, just buy the emerald, you will not be sorry... It has great solo strings as well as great brass and strings... I haven't had experience with the woodwinds, but I've heard the demos and they sound great too... When you're doing projects, each project has needs for a certain sound, and particular sound that doesn't work well from one library can work well from another... Having the emerald library around, you'll be covered for these circumstances....

Looking over the KH site, it appears that Emerald is geared toward GPO-type users but with some differences in sounds and samples. I can't hear samples where I am right now but on the surface they could be complementary libraries for users.

Mark

I own GPO and KH Solo Strings, and plan to get Emerald soon. Note that Emerald includes most of the Solo Strings, so it's an incredible bargain.

Kirk's programming is typically more traditional than GPO - you control the velocity and expression in real time, but other articulations (say fast vs. slow attack) are selected with keyswitches or program changes.

KH's Solo Strings use many different samples, depending upon the velocity played. GPO typically uses one sample, but varies the sound with a complex filter, depending upon expression. More samples can offer more variety, but the risk is that you might get less continuity from one sample to the next. GPO is always very smooth at the risk of less variability.

If you want fast results, GPO is great. If you want great results, you *might* be able to get them with traditional programming, but it depends on your skill and the luck of having samples that blend well from note to note.

Having both libs is a plus. Use GPO as your workhorse. When you want variability with a solo, exposed line, try Emerald. With good technique, you might achieve a more nuanced performance.

Anyway, here's a piece I did with KH Solo Strings. I believe that all of the samples I used are in Emerald. (Only the Gypsy/Romantic violin is missing from Emerald, but I didn't use that instrument here.) Enjoy!

http://fairhurst.com/jon/music/Spider.html

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I own GPO and KH Solo Strings, and plan to get Emerald soon. Note that Emerald includes most of the Solo Strings, so it's an incredible bargain.

Kirk's programming is typically more traditional than GPO - you control the velocity and expression in real time, but other articulations (say fast vs. slow attack) are selected with keyswitches or program changes.

KH's Solo Strings use many different samples, depending upon the velocity played. GPO typically uses one sample, but varies the sound with a complex filter, depending upon expression. More samples can offer more variety, but the risk is that you might get less continuity from one sample to the next. GPO is always very smooth at the risk of less variability.

If you want fast results, GPO is great. If you want great results, you *might* be able to get them with traditional programming, but it depends on your skill and the luck of having samples that blend well from note to note.

Having both libs is a plus. Use GPO as your workhorse. When you want variability with a solo, exposed line, try Emerald. With good technique, you might achieve a more nuanced performance.

Anyway, here's a piece I did with KH Solo Strings. I believe that all of the samples I used are in Emerald. (Only the Gypsy/Romantic violin is missing from Emerald, but I didn't use that instrument here.) Enjoy!

http://fairhurst.com/jon/music/Spider.html

-JF
    John,

AMAZING writing!! What a neat piece!

Thanks for sharing that. Very good recording.

Jerry

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum