• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale dropouts question

Share/Bookmark

Finale dropouts question

Hi all.
    (No this doesn't refer to people who have left school to write music using Finale!) Sorry to revive what is likely a long and old thread on the forum. I've done a search, but it seems that the advice given mainly goes to Windows users. And here I am with my Mac. I have just finished orchestrating a piece for full orchestra. It is slow and only 70 measures. Near the ending there is a spot where a good number of instruments hit a downbeat fairly loudly and I get an enormous DROPOUT during playback. I am using the notation set and not using the WET sounds.

This is more than a crackle. It certainly sounds like CPU overload. And here I am with 4 Gb of Ram, dual processors and a 2Ghz machine. Should this be happening? What are the solutions, if any?

If this has been hashed to death in another thread where suggestions are given for those of us Mac/ Finale 2006a folks, please point me in that direction. That would be extremely cool. No, slightly beyond extremely cool.

Thanks
    Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: Finale dropouts question

Hi Paul!

I started one of these long threads over the subject:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26624

I still has these problems. Especially with percussive sounds, like timp. string pizz. short/agressive, piano etc.

Björn

Thanks Björn,
    I'll check the thread...although I think I found this one before. It seems to dead end and not sure what the solutions will be. I note your comment about percussion. The worst of my problems went away when dumped the rolls from the suspended cymbal and timp (these and a harp gliss were going on at the same time). I left in the cymbal and timp notes, but just got rid of the rolls. I'm still scratching my head, and it sounds like you might be too.

Thanks

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Slandrom
    Hi Paul!

I started one of these long threads over the subject:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26624

I still has these problems. Especially with percussive sounds, like timp. string pizz. short/agressive, piano etc.

Björn
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

There is a little strange behavior that seems to be Mac-related. I just made an arrangment with strings woodwinds and there are lots of "pops" when playing it, but after a "Record to File", there is not any pop-sound at all in the aiff-file.

Björn

Remember to reduce the polyphony whenever possible, pull back quality cpu in the Ambience reverb.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Remember to reduce the polyphony whenever possible, pull back quality cpu in the Ambience reverb.

Jeff
    Always do, but it doesn´t help. Ok, the problems are less but they are still there.

Björn

You wouldn't have DFD Active, would you? Cause that could give you an enormous dropout.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    You wouldn't have DFD Active, would you? Cause that could give you an enormous dropout.
    No, off course not.

Björn

Go Back to forum