• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sinfonietta (Read)

Share/Bookmark

Sinfonietta (Read)

Hi all. I have been at work lately revising and editing a 2 movement piece for 9 instruments (unusual combination, I think): flute, clarinet, bassoon, string quartet, vibraphone and piano. This unlikely combination was the instrumentation of a specific group for whom I wrote this. Unfortunately, the group disbanded (personal problems) before the piece could be performed, so i have never heard it live. I'm planning on having performed on a concert later this year. Anyway, thanks to Gary and his marvelous GPO, I have had great fun listening to it while editing, revising and so on. It's all Finale 2006a HP playback. I am attempting a further mix in DP, but that will come in the next week or so as get myself back up to speed on that program. I haven't been using it that much lately and there are so many knooks and crannies.

The pieces are linked by some melodic cells and a few harmonic ideas. Influences at the time were Copland (particularly his Sextet), Bartok (particularly the 6th string quartet) and Chick Corea!

Hope you might enjoy these:

http://www.paulread.ca/songs/SinfoniettaMvt1.mp3

http://www.paulread.ca/songs/SinfoniettaMvt2.mp3

As always, feedback on the music and the production are both extremely helpful. I am really wrestling with keyswitching, getting the right kind of sound and attack out of the piano, phrasing (all instruments) and the right sort of blend and balance. This is the Ambience reverb which I think did a decent job. I am looking forward to trying Altiverb5 but is hasn't arrived yet! One problem I couldn't seem to solve was getting the piano to sound more present. With reverb on it seemed to move a mile away compared to other instruments. On the other hand, at times I had to keep tabs on its volume overall which could simply wipe out a lot of other colours.

Another technical problem, the use of accents in the second movement seem fine on paper, but the virtual instruments kind of overdo it for me. I tried to adjust them, but found the dialog boxes somewhat confusing. Any tips?

Paul
    Last edited by daerp@mac.com; 11-13-2005 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo and revision
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: Sinfonietta (Read)

paul - i definitely hear your influences...the ensemble you've chosen works very well...this is pretty solid composition...and i know all about players falling apart and disbanding - so i share your grief...thanks for the post

josh

The [latter] Copelandesque idioms and the Bartok influence are certainly evident in these pieces, Paul; and you've done a solid job of composing and orchestrating for this ensemble, rather odd lot that it is!

I sympathize with your mix problems -- always a difficult area for me, as well. Bearing in mind that I'm far from a technical wizard, what my ear says is that this is spread too wide, and the mix is too wet... but I hope someone more astute will jump in, here, and give you some advice that's actually helpful... lol.

Nice job on the second movement, especially!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks you for your comments, Josh and David. I went back and monkeyed with the reverb (I was struggling with this as I hinted before) and wonder if this makes this less "roomy". I took one of the Ambience presets and did some tweaking here and there.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    The [latter] Copelandesque idioms and the Bartok influence are certainly evident in these pieces, Paul; and you've done a solid job of composing and orchestrating for this ensemble, rather odd lot that it is!

I sympathize with your mix problems -- always a difficult area for me, as well. Bearing in mind that I'm far from a technical wizard, what my ear says is that this is spread too wide, and the mix is too wet... but I hope someone more astute will jump in, here, and give you some advice that's actually helpful... lol.

Nice job on the second movement, especially!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

I did a quick re-listen to these, Paul -- my apologies, writing at the moment myself, so I just sampled through parts of each.

To me, this sounds *much* -- in fact, *vastly* -- improved! Before, I had the sense that I was out in the hallway somewhere, listening through an open door -- but now, I am in the room with the players.

How have you got that piano positioned in the mix? To me, it still sounds perhaps spread too much -- ???

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I ABOSLUTELY agree with your comment about the piano. I simply don't know how to fix this in the Finale playback. Once i take this over to DP and remix there, I have full control. The reason I haven't done this yet, is that this will be a project for me to undertake once my third party reverb arrives. But for some reason in Finale the piano sounds like it is almost offstage. Thanks for taking the time to listen (your second visit to reassess puts you several steps closer to sainthood). Is there some way to adjust that instrument only so I can make it more present?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    I did a quick re-listen to these, Paul -- my apologies, writing at the moment myself, so I just sampled through parts of each.

To me, this sounds *much* -- in fact, *vastly* -- improved! Before, I had the sense that I was out in the hallway somewhere, listening through an open door -- but now, I am in the room with the players.

How have you got that piano positioned in the mix? To me, it still sounds perhaps spread too much -- ???

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Paul, try this... it's worked well for me.

In Finale, open Window > Mixer.

Stick both piano channels dead center on pan. Then *very* slightly offset bass to the left, treble to the right.

And only then fiddle with volume and dynamics.

Not sure if it'll help; but worth a shot. And careful not to let the piano overpower...

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I just listened to these so I am not sure at what point in the mix I'm coming in at. If I were more of a technical guru, I could offer suggestions. From a compositional view, I can say that I really enjoyed these. These are definitely companion pieces and work well together. I liked the blending and weaving in your phrasing and especially thought your instrumentation is good. While your comparisons to Copeland and Bartok are vaild, I think that you introduce a nice fluidity that I sometimes do not hear as much from them. Thanks for sharing these.

Best,
    Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Hi Paula
    Really glad you enjoyed the pieces. They've been gathering dust for a while and so it was fun to revisit them and make a few revisions (do we ever stop tweaking?) Thanks for your generous and kind remarks. Quite encouraging!
    Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll
    I just listened to these so I am not sure at what point in the mix I'm coming in at. If I were more of a technical guru, I could offer suggestions. From a compositional view, I can say that I really enjoyed these. These are definitely companion pieces and work well together. I liked the blending and weaving in your phrasing and especially thought your instrumentation is good. While your comparisons to Copeland and Bartok are vaild, I think that you introduce a nice fluidity that I sometimes do not hear as much from them. Thanks for sharing these.

Best,
    Paula

Go Back to forum