• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Autumn Concerto, 2nd mov. "The Same Tree"

Share/Bookmark

Autumn Concerto, 2nd mov. "The Same Tree"

By request, here is movement number 2 of my piano concerto "Autumn Concerto." See this thread on the first movement for more general information on this piece.

This movement is dedicated to my grandmother Dorothy Ludorf, who passed away last month just as I was working out the sketches for this section. I miss her very much.

Autumn Concerto - 2nd Movement, The Same Tree

In this movement, the orchestration is pared down a bit, leaving out all winds except flutes, bassoons, and horns, and even those are used sparingly. A quartet of string soloists plays as well as the full sections.

I think this may be the most beautiful thing I have ever written. There are some very dense harmonies, but the overall feeling is very placid and emotional.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Autumn Concerto, 2nd mov. "The Same Tree"

i'm very much enjoying the intimacy of your concerto, jamie...this 2nd movement is the perfect compliment to the 1st...and once again, autumn is clearly evoked - though more bittersweet, as if i'm watching the last few colored leaves fall from the trees...the lead into full strings about 2/3 through is a wonderful moment...and i really appreciate the "stinger" at the end...thanks for sharing this excellent work - and i'm sorry for your loss...

i'll be looking forward to the finale

-josh

Exactly the right balance against the first movement, I think, Jamie; and again, a statement that does not waste brush strokes.

May I admit that I had to listen to this several times. Initially, I felt it spare to the point of incomplete.

But then I listened with greater care... a minimum of resources, and not a note that's superfluous, this is a well balanced, well thought out, and highly successful movement, Jamie -- very, very well done.

May I caution others: This is not a "quick listen" (nor is the first movement). If you aren't paying attention, the sublime subtleties of it will slide right by you, leaving you the less for missing them.

This is, again, fine work, Jamie. I am much looking forward to the complete concerto.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Beautiful work, Jamie. I really enjoyed listening to it. Very sparse yet the instrumentation is used very effectively in my opinion. Well done

I agree with everyone here, this is beautiful. It carries one away emotionally to unexplored corners of the mind. It has a profound and undescribable effect on me. Thank you.

Kind Regards

LouisD

I agree with the others on all points. This was nice to listen to this morning with the change of weather we are experiencing. I like the analogy Josh renders, " though more bittersweet, as if I’m watching the last few colored leaves fall from the trees..." and if I may take it a bit further today ... the first snow flakes.
    This is a keeper in my daily play list.
    My deepest condolences.

Beautiful work of art Jamie.
    Styxx

This was a beautiful piece with nicely complex harmonies - I like it a lot! The complexities don't interfere with its beauty, and that I like even better!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    ...and once again, autumn is clearly evoked - though more bittersweet, as if i'm watching the last few colored leaves fall from the trees...the lead into full strings about 2/3 through is a wonderful moment.
    Thank you, Josh.

I'm glad you are hearing autumn in the music. All I did was chip away everything that didn't sound like autumn, and there it was!

The build up you are talking about was one of the most difficult things I've ever crafted. It suffered severe muddiness for the longest time, while I carefully refined it about thirty times over. It's not easy to make extremely dense harmonies sound clear.

Thanks for listening!
    - Jamie Kowalski

Jamie, I've listened to the first movement several times now and have enjoyed it every time. And movement two... just wow.

It's amazing to me how composers, poets, those people take life experience, something like the seasons and transfer it into the ether, give it suspension. Like a single moment, a glance, a chill, hope, sadness, beauty, and preserve it. You have really captured a very specific sensibility of your experience. It kind of makes me sad for everyone else. Are we as artists the only ones who can see the world this way, as something so special and inspiring?

I just love your style, too. So delicate, strange, and comforting at the same time. Do you feel that you have grown through this work? Because it feels much more refined to me, very mature. There is nothing extraneous here. Everything belongs. I sincerely hope you are able to get a performance of this piece.

jmc,

Thanks your kind review.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc
    It's amazing to me how composers, poets, those people take life experience, something like the seasons and transfer it into the ether, give it suspension. Like a single moment, a glance, a chill, hope, sadness, beauty, and preserve it. ... Are we as artists the only ones who can see the world this way, as something so special and inspiring?
    I'm certain almost anyone can see the world this way, or rather in their own personal way. The difference with artists is that they have a means of conveying this vision to others through their craft.

Do you feel that you have grown through this work? Because it feels much more refined to me, very mature. There is nothing extraneous here. Everything belongs. I sincerely hope you are able to get a performance of this piece.
    Yes, I have grown, and am still growing. This past year has been amazing for me creatively. After a couple of years of on-and-off writer's block and frustration with new pieces, I'm experiencing an embarassment of riches in the ideas department. I honestly don't know where most of my music is coming from these days... I listen to it after it's done, and half believe that someone else wrote it!

Thanks for listening.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast