• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar 5 and GS3 on same 64bit machine?

Share/Bookmark

Sonar 5 and GS3 on same 64bit machine?

Has anyone tried running GS3 in Rewire mode on a 64bit AMD equipped computer running the 32bit edition of Sonar 5 Producer? I want to run a machine with an AMD 3200+64 processor with 4GB of RAM running GS3 and Sonar 5 32bit Producer Edition. I will have at least 2 200GB SATA HDs and any number of fire wire drives for instruments. Will machine work with a PCI 424 card and 2 MOTU 2408 series boxes? Is there any major bug that I haven't accounted for?
    Please write me back at my e-mail address:
    kevjazz@rcn.com with any helpful thoughts you may have.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Re: Sonar 5 and GS3 on same 64bit machine?

Giga does not play well with others (STILL )
    and rewire is the worst. very low polophony count with it..
    while you can run both on the same box you will get far better results with 2 computers.

Scott
    ADK

Could you describe your system and apps? What sort of failures do you have?
    Kevin

I have to agree with Scott on this one .....With all the drives you are talking about having ( plenty of heat, and plenty of power needed ) and with the size of the libraries that you will enevidibly end up with , you would be better served to run a computer for Giga by itself with a bunch of samples sitting in your Raid setup .....A small drive for the applications, and your all set.....

Set up ANOTHER SEPERATE computer for Sonar.....Have your applications, and your pluggins on one drive, and set up another drive for all your audio needs ....Run a midi setup on your choice to the Giga computer....BOTH computers will run better, cooler, and more efficiently, and if there is problems
    ( they WILL pop up ) you will have an easier time troubleshooting !!....I ended up trying to put too many things in one computer, and have been battleing errors left and right ....It's just not worth the hassle ... Try to get away on the cheap, and you end up with MAJOR hassles.....Take my word for it ....I'm getting ANOTHER computer myself .....Jim

Please let me know where you end up buying from and what you get? Do you use Sonar also?

FWIW, I run Sonar 3 and GS3 on the same Athlon64 machine (Asus A8V Deluxe) without problems. I don't use rewire though. I use good old MIDI ports.

-JF

John,
    I didn't think you could use MIDI ports in GS3 the way you could in 2.5. I have a MOTU PCI424 which is GSIF compatible, but I thought you had to use reWire in GS3. How many MIDI ports are available for you? do you plan to upgrade to Sonar 5?
    Kevin

Hi Kevin,

GS3 Orchestra has eight MIDI ports. I just point Sonar at them. There's no need for any MIDI hardware, as long as Sonar and GS3 are on the same machine.

I don't plan to update to Sonar 5 right now. I've got my sights on some libs...

-JF

It you get 8 ports without even trying, why is reWire even necessary or valuable?
    thanks,
    Kevin

Go Back to forum