• Register
  • Help

Topic: FAB FAUX - NY area BEATLES BAND - Review

Share/Bookmark

FAB FAUX - NY area BEATLES BAND - Review

I just got back from a concert at The State Theater in New Brunswick, NJ.

The Band: The Fab Faux. Beatles music is their specialty and lord, do they have it down!

Absolutely incredible. Great show.

These guys don't do anything with their voices, to impersonate The Beatles.

They don't dress like them or try to look like them in any way.

But their skillful musicianship, overflowing enthusiasm and ability to recreate the arrangements of many of The Beatles more intricate studio work make them the most inspiring show that I’ve seen in recent memory.

Instrument changes abounded throughout the show as roadies ran off and on providing the players with guitars whose signature timbres defined the sounds of the different songs.

A cellist and violinst helped round out the sounds of tunes like 'Elenore Rigby.'

Most impressive was watching the group perform the closing songs of Sergeant Pepper’s: 'Good Morning, Good Morning', 'Sergeant Pepper’s Reprise' and 'Day in a Life.'

I was amazed to see them pull off a song so loosely held together as, 'Nowhere Man.' It was at that point that the four man horn section all switched to flutes with one of the switching off on penny whistle for the lead.

Oh and a question. What kind of trumpet is that used in 'Penny Lane?' One of the brass section guys came to center stage holding one of the SMALLEST trumpets I’ve ever seen and this clearly was the exact one used on the Magical Mystery Tour Album.

The Fab Faux are playing around the NY Metro Area and even if you’re jaded with The Beatles, been there done that… I don’t care! Seeing these guys in action will bring back all the original enthusiasm you ever had or hopefully still have for the music of The Beatles.

More info: http://www.thefabfaux.com/

Re: FAB FAUX - NY area BEATLES BAND - Review

Quote Originally Posted by dynamix
    Oh and a question. What kind of trumpet is that used in 'Penny Lane?' One of the brass section guys came to center stage holding one of the SMALLEST trumpets I’ve ever seen and this clearly was the exact one used on the Magical Mystery Tour Album.
    It's a piccolo trumpet.

http://www.nevilleyoung.co.uk/pennylane

http://www.jazzprofessional.com/Mins...mpetSoloEx.htm

Thumbs up Re: FAB FAUX - NY area BEATLES BAND - Review

I've have experienced several Beatle moc up bands in particular one that performed with the Buffalo Philharmonic, "Strawberry Fields". The performance was excellent and yes they dressed like, including St. Pepper's uniforms, every era of there fame. The only regret was the music director seemed not to have a handle on the piccolo trumpet in Penny Lane. Ironic how one tiny detail can upset your whole expectations of a specific song.
    The other's I can't place the band names. There is one local band here in Buffalo that has continued since the 80's to pack a house doing just Beatles music, "Switch". One player has an uncanny resemblance to John Lennon. Fortunately, they do not try to sing like the Beatles. They do however like to go through the year changes including costumes, hair, and instruments.
    Sounds like you had a great time!
    Styxx

I've seen Rain, Beatlemania and Fab Four. All were worth seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I've have experienced several Beatle moc up bands in particular one that performed with the Buffalo Philharmonic, "Strawberry Fields".
    With a whole orchestra. Whoa! Wish I saw that!

Go Back to forum