• Register
  • Help

Topic: Synchronizing ProTools on a Mac with Cubase/Giga on PCs

Share/Bookmark

Synchronizing ProTools on a Mac with Cubase/Giga on PCs

We want to use ProTools LE on a Mac G4 for live recorded tracks while we’re running GigaStudio on one PC and Cubase SX on another PC for midi and WAV files and for viewing video. The Mac will be used for recording extra tracks and should be able to Play, Rewind, FF, Pause, etc., so the Mac will be the time code master. (I know we could use Cubase for recording as well, but our chief engineer finds ProTools to be more convenient.)

We use an RME Hammerfall 9652 in the Cubase PC with an RME ADI-8 DS, a Frontier Design Dakota/Montana sending ADAT optical to the Hammerfall (for monitoring) and to a Frontier Design Sierra (for the GigaStudio PC), and a Digi-002 Rack for the Mac G4.

Which of the following would be the best choice for synching the Mac and the Cubase PC?
    Linear Time Code

SMPTE

Midi Sync

Song Position Pointer

Midi Time Code

MMC

Superclock

Word Clock
    Once we've selected one of those (or another method, if anyone has a different suggestion), how do we go about setting-up the synchronization?

Thanks for any/all suggestions.

Aloha,
    --jt
    Last edited by justin thyme; 11-12-2005 at 04:09 PM. Reason: pesky typos!
    justin thyme

Re: Synchronizing ProTools on a Mac with Cubase/Giga on PCs

I think that using PT LE instead of Cubase SX is a big mistake. SX can give a "proper" PT rig a run for it's money, and completely blows LE out of the water. I would suggest that you find out why your engineer prefers LE, as I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole...!

D

Perhaps it's just a question of familiarity and comfort with the simplicity of PT LE and the easy no-mouse one-press control offered by the Digi 002 rack component -- and/or perhaps it's the steepness of the Cubase SX learning curve and the scant time available for study and practice in a busy studio -- but for whatever reason, our engineer wants and intends to use the ProTools/Digi 002/Cubase SX/GigaStudio configuration mentioned in my initial posting.

So please, although I appreciate the advice and don't disagree with it in principle, I'd much prefer to receive constructive suggestions or solutions for achieving the originally-posted goal using PT and Digi 002, rather than advice to scrap PT and use Cubase for this project. That's not feasible given our scheduling constraints and the preferences of my engineer.

Thanks, all.

Aloha,
    --jt
    justin thyme

Ahem . . . anyone?
    justin thyme

Go Back to forum