• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: RMX for acoustic work

Share/Bookmark

RMX for acoustic work

I'm pretty new with RMX (one week) and I'm struggling a bit finding a routine that is not overpowering for my work. I primarily do acoustic guitar/vocal recordings using Garritan for backdrop instrumentation, and keeping the mix clean is very important to me. What are some good combinations that will not be overdriven for this more contemplative space?

Any ideas would be very helpful. Though I think that RMX is very interesting and powerful, I don't want to completely change genres to use it :-)

Thanks

Bob M

Re: RMX for acoustic work

Hi Bob,

Look into the SAGE expanders that are available. Liquid Grooves would definitely fit nicely into the acoustic genre.

Also, if you get Recycle, you can make your own REX files and have them available in RMX as well. Loop CD's like Brush Artistry come to mind.

Also, look into the percussion loops in RMX. There's tons of Shakers, Congas, Bongos, Dbjembe's, etc, that would easily fit an acoustic type track quite nicely.

And don't underestimate what extra filtering can do to some of the bigger "re-mix" type loops. You could very easily get something very unique sounding going on, that wouldn't over power acoustic instruments, but would add a cool dimension to the track, without sounding overly electronic.

Thnx Jaimo,

Could you tell me a little more about the idea of filtering the bigger loops?

Sure,

Just experiment and let your imagination guide you.

Try putting one of the filter FX on a loop that has a feel that you like, and mess around with it. Load the pre-sets, and see what those do.
    Also, try loading some FX racks to. You'll be amazed at how much the texture and sound of a loop can be transformed simply by those.

If you're unclear on how to do any of that, watch the FX tutorial. It'll shed some light.

Like you, I am an acoustic guy who came to RMX by accident. In addition to Liquid Grooves, I recommend Backbeat as essential for acoustic work. Fundimenatlly, and evenSepctrum would tell you this, RMX is not really meant to replace acoustic drum kits.

Also you could try their recently released New Orleans Strut mini collection. And your request is not an uncommon one. Yes, I've heard Eric say that Stylus and Stylus RMX were always meant to be drum "REMIX" type programs. But with the success of Backbeat, LGs and New Orleans Strut, and the clamor of RMX users for more acoustic type things, I don't know why he seems to resist putting out more of this stuff. Maybe more is in the pipeline.

I feel that things are shifting and the heavily electronic drum sounds are starting to be used more as a flavor, or an accent, and that people are going back to more acoustic sounds.
    Being the good businessman that he has proven to be, I doubt he'll want to miss the curve on this.
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymio
    Being the good businessman that he has proven to be, I doubt he'll want to miss the curve on this.
    YES -- can someone say, "Spectrasonics' multi-sampled drum VSTi"?!?!?

I mean... well... I wish ERIC would say that...

I totally agree with jimmymio.

As much as I love all the grooves that come with RMX, I STILL it very hard to create "whole songs" with them. I am either old-fashioned or not very skilled - but I VERY much like the Backbeat xpander way of things with several verse / chorus possibilities AND fills / intros to go with them.

It is the CONSISTENCY of sound that I also need. I don't want to use one groove for a verse and a completely different groove for a chorus - it just won't sound right.

I have watched the 1.5 videos about creating fills / intros - but as good as they are, a fundamental point has been missed I think: musicians (well lots of them at least) buy RMX because they are NOT drummers and don't know how to be. I KNOW I can use RMX in slice menu mode to add "extra" snares or whatever for a fill - but because I am not a drummer, I don't know where to add them; or how to change the kick to make it all fit, or if I should kill the high hat or not, or ... or .... or ....

Please don't take this as any kind of criticism for RMX. It is is still BY FAR the most versatile software instrument I have ever used. I even get my 11 year old daughter to create multis for me to play with - she loves adding the sounds together. Except of course ... what do you then do for a fill into the chorus .....

So to conclude - I agree with jimmymio. Eric won't miss the opportunity in expanding RMX still further. And all power to him and Spectrasonics.

And one more thing - I would gladly pay for RMX all over again (not just an upgrade price) to have ALL grooves with fills / intros variations. I am a guitarist, not a drummer, but I still want to create whole songs (yes i know , want cake AND eat it! )

All the best,
    Tyrone Howe

You can supplement your acoustic drum loops via REX2 and the SAGE converter.

M-Audio has released 5 or 6 sets of Discrete Drum Loops in REX2 format--the disks are fairly cheap.

SessionLoops has released its first set of loops in REX2 as well.

All of the Drums on Demand sets are in REX2 format.

Big Fish has released Brain: One Stroke Done in REX2. Another set of powerful acoustic rock loops.

You can also download Drum Drops REX loops (funkier stuff) at the PowerFX website

Most of these products use verse, chorus, intro, fill, etc. loops, so it is pretty easy to arrange a song.

Fred G.

Hello Fred

Thanks for the info, I honestly had no idea of how much stuff could also be added to RMX.

All the best

Tyrone Howe

Go Back to forum