• Register
  • Help

Topic: recreating scary strings

Share/Bookmark

recreating scary strings

I've been trying to recreate those fast hi pitched tremolo like string lines you would hear in say a horror movie or on a big scary hit. I have VSL Opus 1 as my main string samples. Can anyone give me some direction?

Re: recreating scary strings

Quote Originally Posted by therockstar30
    I've been trying to recreate those fast hi pitched tremolo like string lines you would hear in say a horror movie or on a big scary hit. I have VSL Opus 1 as my main string samples. Can anyone give me some direction?
    Study Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, Weber's Der Frieschutz, Various Development sections from the first Viennese school.

If you're using a keyboard controller, start with a combined (maybe the "all" keyswitched) patch, say violins, and experiment with the effect of various harmonies with the different articulations. Not sure if Opus comes with it, if not I created it myself, but I have a dynamic modwheel patch for all the tremolos that lets you swell, fade, etc in realtime. That can go a long way with a diminished 7 chord! Once you find some chords you like, rest assured their overall sound will improve when you spread them across the sections.

Are you restricted especially to strings? Coloring that with some low brass (like the flatter dynamics) can greatly enhance the scary factor.

Good luck

Belbin

ps...also think in terms of contrast. The less scary the preceeding cue, the more effective the scary one. Of course if you're scoring to picture, this will only work if the contrast is justified by the elements of the film.

Go Back to forum