• Register
  • Help

Topic: Better hard drive needed or what?

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Better hard drive needed or what?

I hope you can help me. I upgraded my system in order to better accommodate Kontakt 2 and SISS strings. Unfortunately I get dropouts whenever I load separate SISS parts (violins, violas.. etc) while other samples are loaded. The strings will sound as I hold them down on my keyboard... but soon I hear other notes I didn't play, and the disk meter in K2 spikes before stopping them all completely. The CPU meter doesn't blink.

The drive I bought came from Best Buy. Should I invest in a better one... maybe a 10,000 RPM WD Raptor? I've had to convert all of the .wavs to 16-bit just to get the "ensembles" to play. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jon

-MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum (latest drivers)
    -AMD Athlon 64 3700 C
    -OCZ 2GB Platinum ram
    -C:Maxtor 7200rpm ATA - apps
    -D:Maxtor 7200rpm SATA - samples
    -Sonar 4 and 5 PE
    -Kontakt 2.02

Re: Better hard drive needed or what?

I just installed a WD Raptor, after experiencing a lot of dropouts with lieve use of "akoustic piano (NI)" 24-bit version om tha following constellation: AMD Sempron 3000+, ATA-6 HD, Terratec EWS 88 MT, ASIO native driver. The Raptor (100000 rpm) seems to have resolved the problem until now. Strange enough, a benchmark test (HD Tach) gave about the same results as for the ATA-6 (speed burst, avarge read/write) (with even a better score for the ATA-6 on average read). It gave however a significant improvement for the raptor on random access (7,5 ms versus 14,7 ms). Maybe this is a determing factor for live (streaming) use .....

Quote Originally Posted by JWB
    I hope you can help me. I upgraded my system in order to better accommodate Kontakt 2 and SISS strings. Unfortunately I get dropouts whenever I load separate SISS parts (violins, violas.. etc) while other samples are loaded. The strings will sound as I hold them down on my keyboard... but soon I hear other notes I didn't play, and the disk meter in K2 spikes before stopping them all completely. The CPU meter doesn't blink.

The drive I bought came from Best Buy. Should I invest in a better one... maybe a 10,000 RPM WD Raptor? I've had to convert all of the .wavs to 16-bit just to get the "ensembles" to play. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jon

-MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum (latest drivers)
    -AMD Athlon 64 3700 C
    -OCZ 2GB Platinum ram
    -C:Maxtor 7200rpm ATA - apps
    -D:Maxtor 7200rpm SATA - samples
    -Sonar 4 and 5 PE
    -Kontakt 2.02

Well thanks... I'm glad you like the Raptor. Using HD Tach, my current access time is 15.7ms (a long way off from what was supposed to be <10ms). I guess other hardware issues come into play. I went ahead and ordered one from Newegg. Hopefully it'll take care of this problem.

Jon

If it's any help I once came across some data that I follow and I've never had any problems of any kind with HD:

No. 1-- seek time should be under 8.9ms.
    no. 2-- Seagate drives are best. Western Digital a close second and Maxtor way behind both of them in terms of quality.

I don't know is this is true at all. I've just followed it and have never had any problems.

Ars

Go Back to forum